Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't been able to find concrete answers so sorry for the post...

Last Tuesday driving to work, I heard a loud smack against my windshield. Didn't see anything coming towards me or flying through the air. Ended up being a chip about half and inch from the edge of the driver side window. This past Saturday i made an appt. with Safelight hoping only to do a chip repair instead of a full windshield replacement considering it was only a chip and no crack, tech advises against trying to do the repair considering it was so close to the edge, it might actually cause a crack in the windshield due to the edge of the windshield being the weakest point. Said 50/50 chance at best that it could be corrected. So I opted not to do anything and just hope it didn't get bigger. From the inside of the cabin, the chip could not even be seen, that how close to the edge was. Yesterday, I took the family to Disneyland in the morning and by the time we got back to the car around 4pm, there was a horizontal crack right in the middle of the windshield stemming from the chip. That crack started right on the edge and finishes almost directly lined up with the rear view mirror. So now it will definitely get replaced.

Has anyone already replaced their windshield, and if so, how much? Considering all the AP features, is taking it directly to Tesla my best option? Has anyone else used other services to replace it? Thanks in advance.

...directly to Tesla...

You can ask Tesla to replace your windshield but most likely, they'll redirect you to a non-Tesla company.

Hopefully, after the replacement, the Autopilot can re-calibrate itself (I would give it extra miles like 100-200 miles for re-calibration.) If not, you need Tesla to do it for you for an extra charge of course.

So, of course, it's more convenient to have Tesla to do both replacement and re-calibration for you in 1 place.

You can ask Tesla to replace your windshield but most likely, they'll redirect you to a non-Tesla company.
I actually got off the phone with them and asked if they could expedite the process due to the crack getting bigger. My appt was for May 9th and they were able to push it up to the 4/19. To top it off, they said they would order the windshield now that way by the time of my appt, they will have it ready in stock. I really hope that will happen however I'm not holding my breathe.

I also inquired about PPF and similar products and due the exposure to the sun and wipers, i dont think there is anything that will last...

Ya I'm a little bummed out considering I have ceramic tint on the windshield, just don't want to go through the hassle of doing it all over again. But considering the summer months are coming up, might now have another choice.

Is it with Tesla Pomona Body Shop? They did my windshield last year. I have $100 glass only deductible on my insurance policy and a $50 loss of use per day. I got 2 days loss of use so net $0 for the windshield replacement. The bill was just under $1000.

Is it with Tesla Pomona Body Shop? They did my windshield last year. I have $100 glass only deductible on my insurance policy and a $50 loss of use per day. I got 2 days loss of use so net $0 for the windshield replacement. The bill was just under $1000.

It was with the Buena Park Service Center. I was a little surprised too when they said they would be able to take care of it. I thought they would send me to an approved body shop.

It was with the Buena Park Service Center. I was a little surprised too when they said they would be able to take care of it. I thought they would send me to an approved body shop.

Last year I actually scheduled with Buena Park SC too, but then I received a phone call from Pomona SC telling me that I could stay with my original appointment (in 2 weeks) with Buena Park, but they (Pomona) could do it tomorrow. Guess which one I picked? LOL.

Last year I actually scheduled with Buena Park SC too, but then I received a phone call from Pomona SC telling me that I could stay with my original appointment (in 2 weeks) with Buena Park, but they (Pomona) could do it tomorrow. Guess which one I picked? LOL.

Looks like you lucked out. Hopefully they can do the same for me. Then again, my original appt was on 5/9 and they were able to move it up to the 4/19. I'm just hoping they actually ordered it like they said they would so that they can install it the day of my actual appointment.

Looks like you lucked out. Hopefully they can do the same for me. Then again, my original appt was on 5/9 and they were able to move it up to the 4/19. I'm just hoping they actually ordered it like they said they would so that they can install it the day of my actual appointment.

Good luck! Also ask them to test AutoPilot after the replacement and do any calibration necessary before you take your car back. That's if you have AutoPilot on your car. Some people had reported AP lane keep was off center and Tesla SC had to get the car to recalibrate it.

• Helpful
Reactions: BOBEDIGITL
Good luck! Also ask them to test AutoPilot after the replacement and do any calibration necessary before you take your car back. That's if you have AutoPilot on your car. Some people had reported AP lane keep was off center and Tesla SC had to get the car to recalibrate it.

Definitely will do. This was the main reason why I made the appt with Tesla instead of a 3rd party installer. Considering how much I paid for EAP and FSD, I want to make sure everything is calibrated and ready to go.