Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Is it where the cameras are? Then yeah probably necessary

if not then might could just be filled depending how bad/likely to spread it is.

1spicycow

Mar 3, 2021
My Model 3 has a small stone chip in the black area at the top of the windshield. Tesla service center says it will be $885 for the repair. From what I read here it sounds like they want to replace the windshield to fix a tiny chip. Is that really necessary?

Each state has specific laws on repairs for state inspection, usually in non critical areas it is 1.5" . Your service center may not do repairs period on glass, I'd check with Safelite but it is probably too close to the edge, there is tons of pressure the closer you get to the glass edge so it may be liability thing. If they start drilling it to prep for the resin and the whole windshield breaks, the customer is going to expect a full glass replacement since it was "fine" before you touched it.

EmOne

Mar 28, 2020
Chicago
My Model 3 has a small stone chip in the black area at the top of the windshield. Tesla service center says it will be $885 for the repair. From what I read here it sounds like they want to replace the windshield to fix a tiny chip. Is that really necessary?
Would cost you practically nothing to try one of the FIY kits; I've repaired several chips that way and never had an issue.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Oct 28, 2019
Texas
Would cost you practically nothing to try one of the FIY kits; I've repaired several chips that way and never had an issue.
I always keep one RainX DIY windshield repair kit in the frunk... they are less than $10 and if you get a hit on the road and you can't make it to Safelite .... that impact star can spread and you need a new windshield. if the impact star isn't anywhere noticeable or on the top... I'd totally do it myself.

dmurphy

Woof.
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
Don't they hit you up with a claim strike though? It's not free if you have to add a claim to your record.
Check with your carrier, but these are considered comprehensive claims and thus, not at-fault.
We had a $21,000 repair last year after a deer incident. Our renewal actually went down a few dollars. Still considered accident-free.

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
Check with your carrier, but these are considered comprehensive claims and thus, not at-fault.
We had a $21,000 repair last year after a deer incident. Our renewal actually went down a few dollars. Still considered accident-free.

From what I know of insurance companies, they frown upon any claim of any sort and use them against you. This article backs that up. What happened with you may have other circumstances that resulted in a slight reduction in your renewal.

dmurphy

Woof.
Dec 7, 2018
New Jersey - Morris County
From what I know of insurance companies, they frown upon any claim of any sort and use them against you. This article backs that up. What happened with you may have other circumstances that resulted in a slight reduction in your renewal.

Sure - the reduction in rate has nothing to do with the deer .... and that was my point. The deer accident - big payout and all - didn’t change anything.

We’re still rated as “accident free, 10 or more years” with State Farm. Insurance rates are based on perceived risk. 20+ year customer, no at-fault accidents, no tickets, married, homeowner w/ off-street parking, low crime area, excellent credit score, taken defensive driving courses, with the safest vehicles on the planet all add up to a pretty low risk assessment... My risk profile wasn't changed any by the deer jumping out on the highway.

If, say, I filed 3 of those claims in a month, they might question what the heck I'm doing out there and why my risk factor has suddenly increased... But one random deer in 20+ years of driving? That doesn't change the risk calculation.

Same with one rock chip claim - that's not going to move anyone's needle. If you file 3 or 4 of them in a month or two, that very well might move the needle. But these one-off comprehensive claims? Nah.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC