Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 has a small stone chip in the black area at the top of the windshield. Tesla service center says it will be $885 for the repair. From what I read here it sounds like they want to replace the windshield to fix a tiny chip. Is that really necessary?

Each state has specific laws on repairs for state inspection, usually in non critical areas it is 1.5" . Your service center may not do repairs period on glass, I'd check with Safelite but it is probably too close to the edge, there is tons of pressure the closer you get to the glass edge so it may be liability thing. If they start drilling it to prep for the resin and the whole windshield breaks, the customer is going to expect a full glass replacement since it was "fine" before you touched it.

My Model 3 has a small stone chip in the black area at the top of the windshield. Tesla service center says it will be $885 for the repair. From what I read here it sounds like they want to replace the windshield to fix a tiny chip. Is that really necessary?
Would cost you practically nothing to try one of the FIY kits; I've repaired several chips that way and never had an issue.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Would cost you practically nothing to try one of the FIY kits; I've repaired several chips that way and never had an issue.
I always keep one RainX DIY windshield repair kit in the frunk... they are less than $10 and if you get a hit on the road and you can't make it to Safelite .... that impact star can spread and you need a new windshield. if the impact star isn't anywhere noticeable or on the top... I'd totally do it myself.

Don't they hit you up with a claim strike though? It's not free if you have to add a claim to your record.
Check with your carrier, but these are considered comprehensive claims and thus, not at-fault.
We had a $21,000 repair last year after a deer incident. Our renewal actually went down a few dollars. Still considered accident-free.

Check with your carrier, but these are considered comprehensive claims and thus, not at-fault.
We had a $21,000 repair last year after a deer incident. Our renewal actually went down a few dollars. Still considered accident-free.

From what I know of insurance companies, they frown upon any claim of any sort and use them against you. This article backs that up. What happened with you may have other circumstances that resulted in a slight reduction in your renewal.

From what I know of insurance companies, they frown upon any claim of any sort and use them against you. This article backs that up. What happened with you may have other circumstances that resulted in a slight reduction in your renewal.

Sure - the reduction in rate has nothing to do with the deer .... and that was my point. The deer accident - big payout and all - didn’t change anything.

We’re still rated as “accident free, 10 or more years” with State Farm. Insurance rates are based on perceived risk. 20+ year customer, no at-fault accidents, no tickets, married, homeowner w/ off-street parking, low crime area, excellent credit score, taken defensive driving courses, with the safest vehicles on the planet all add up to a pretty low risk assessment... My risk profile wasn't changed any by the deer jumping out on the highway.

If, say, I filed 3 of those claims in a month, they might question what the heck I'm doing out there and why my risk factor has suddenly increased... But one random deer in 20+ years of driving? That doesn't change the risk calculation.

Same with one rock chip claim - that's not going to move anyone's needle. If you file 3 or 4 of them in a month or two, that very well might move the needle. But these one-off comprehensive claims? Nah.

Was unlucky enough to catch a good sized rock while driving on the freeway.

It created a significant bullseye crack and skipped up about 3-4 inches causing another crack.

I first contacted Safelite. I uploaded the same photo attached to this thread and they determined that a repair was not possible - needed to replace the windshield.

Unfortunately, Safelite needs to special order windshields from Tesla - takes about 2-3 weeks.

So, I opened a service request with Tesla through my app. They had an available time slot the day after I returned from a trip. This was at the Fremont, CA service center.

I showed up for my appointment - they took the car and gave me $100 Uber credits. I got an alert about 2 hours later saying the car was ready.

Paid through the app - total was $885.00.

No issues - really simple transaction...and a brand new windshield...
Now you will submit for reimbursement from your insurance company?

I had a small rock hit my windshield on the freeway and caused a chip in my 2021 Model 3. I contacted Tesla SC and got a reply from them saying they cannot do a full replacement in a timely manner due to lack of resources! And, I live in the SF Bay area about 25 miles from their Fremont manufacturing facility - go figure!
Anyway, I have Safeco insurance and thru them I can get Safelite to fix the chip for free. However, if I opt for a replacement, I will pay only $250 as my co-pay and they said that they can send the car to Tesla for proper recalibration after the replacement and the insurance will cover that too. The chip repair guy will come tomorrow and let me see if he can do a good job- if not full replacement it is! More later