Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
I need to replace my Roadster 2.5 windshield. Tesla came up with 2 different part numbers for my VIN, one that is clear and one that is "blue". I am assuming the "blue" windshield refers to the style where there is a slightly blue section at the top of the windshield like many cars used to have. Does anyone actually have a windshield with a blue band? I would think all 2.5 Roadsters were manufactured the same, so maybe that is for the European market or perhaps there were different ones used at different times? Before I order my replacement, I wanted more information since they are giving me a choice.

Thanks!

David

I need to replace my Roadster 2.5 windshield. Tesla came up with 2 different part numbers for my VIN, one that is clear and one that is "blue". I am assuming the "blue" windshield refers to the style where there is a slightly blue section at the top of the windshield like many cars used to have. Does anyone actually have a windshield with a blue band? I would think all 2.5 Roadsters were manufactured the same, so maybe that is for the European market or perhaps there were different ones used at different times? Before I order my replacement, I wanted more information since they are giving me a choice.

Thanks!

David
I’ve never seen a “band” section on top of any roadster windshield. I believe the “clear” is the original lotus Elise windshield and it’s still available. The “blue” I assume was Tesla’s improved windshield (light filter??) and I was told by my local SC that it’s not available anymore. The Tesla version had a cleared out area at the bottom left corner to show the VIN.

Good luck and let us know what they say when you go to order it.

So Tesla told me 2 part numbers were available (confirmed by Safelite). This is what Tesla sent to me, and it matches another page I saw in other postings. The one line is labeled "solar." Some older postings have noted they had a windshield with the blue band at the top when they had replacements. They were all owners with the Solar Guard option (like I had, since it is a 2.5 Sport), and they all pointed it out to Tesla that their original windshields weren't blue and had them replaced with the non-blue option. What is funny is that Safelite is telling me that the blue option is $200 more. I just want whichever includes the Solar Guard, since that what I purchased new.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Windshield clipping.jpg
    Windshield clipping.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 50