Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had to have the windshield replaced on the S. I was told by the SC that they do not supply windshields to 3rd party companies here (central Florida) and that they do them at the SC. When I checked with our insurance (USAA), evidently that was the case. If I remember correctly, it was around $1200. One of the nice things here in Florida is that the state mandates that your insurance cover windshield replacements with no deductible.

Going through this exercise Friday. Had a golf ball-sized rock hit the windshield after it appeared to have bounced from another windshield. Actually surprised the windshield didn't shatter considering my speed (75mph) and the size of the rock (or chunk of asphalt- the highway looks like it belongs in a 3rd world country).

I called the Raleigh SC and they said they don't bill insurance. That's a bummer.

Read this thread and chose Safelite. I will let you all know how they do.

Went with Safelite. I was returning from Dallas, expecting to meet the tech at my house when Safelite called about 30 minutes before the installation time to tell me the work was "too technical" and had to be done at their downtown Richmond facility. I can't tell you folks how inconvenient this was for me. I had my entire Friday rescheduled (flight from Dallas, trip to Newport News, etc.) just so they could come out to my house and do the work. I even used a driver at a much higher cost vs. parking just to make sure my car was at home in case my flight got delayed.

Anyway, it looks like they did good work. I came in with the proverbial chip on my shoulder and they tried to handle me with kid gloves by offering a $50 discount. I was too exhausted from 3 hours sleep to fight. They should have offered much, much more.

Word to the wise: If you go with Safelite and have expectations their mobile tech can do the work you'd better confirm and re-confirm they can do it so you don't run into the waste of time I did. 3 hours of my life wasted and a wrecked holiday schedule put me in one crappy mood.

• Helpful
Reactions: BertL
Went with Safelite. I was returning from Dallas, expecting to meet the tech at my house when Safelite called about 30 minutes before the installation time to tell me the work was "too technical" and had to be done at their downtown Richmond facility. I can't tell you folks how inconvenient this was for me. I had my entire Friday rescheduled (flight from Dallas, trip to Newport News, etc.) just so they could come out to my house and do the work. I even used a driver at a much higher cost vs. parking just to make sure my car was at home in case my flight got delayed.

Anyway, it looks like they did good work. I came in with the proverbial chip on my shoulder and they tried to handle me with kid gloves by offering a $50 discount. I was too exhausted from 3 hours sleep to fight. They should have offered much, much more.

Word to the wise: If you go with Safelite and have expectations their mobile tech can do the work you'd better confirm and re-confirm they can do it so you don't run into the waste of time I did. 3 hours of my life wasted and a wrecked holiday schedule put me in one crappy mood.

Could expand on your Safelite experience?

Your Tesla model/autopilot/heated windshield.

Cost?

Results so far?

Thanks

Sure. Once they got to working on it they took about 90 minutes. From my untrained eye it appears they did a solid job installing the new windshield and even warned me that from time to time the auto pilot car cameras mounted behind the rear view mirror needed adjustment by the Tesla SC. They didn't even consider trying to do that work... and rightly so. My only frustration was how they handled the unannounced shift from remote repair to shop repair. I do believe laziness was involved. It happened on a Friday afternoon. But they gave me a $50 discount for my troubles.

The windshield itself is clear and working fine. No issues with the product at all. Been through some heavy downpours and no leaks. No rattles, no noises whatsoever.

I have a 2014 S85. No auto pilot. No heated front windshield. Normal fee would have been $250 flat. My insurance covered the rest.