Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies upfront as I'm sure there are numerous threads about this, but I've been away from the forum for a while hand am having difficulty remembering how to search topics. My windshield is cracked on my Gen 1 Autopilot Model S. I called Tesla and they said they could replace it for somewhere between $900-$1200 but they don't accept insurance. They referred me to the local authorized Tesla autobody shop and stated that it was important that Tesla or the authorized body shop perform the work so that the Autopilot would be properly calibrated. When I called the Autobody shop, it sounded like they would have a regular windshield installer come in and do the work. Confusing.

Where are people having their windshields installed?

Thanks!

My apologies upfront as I'm sure there are numerous threads about this, but I've been away from the forum for a while hand am having difficulty remembering how to search topics. My windshield is cracked on my Gen 1 Autopilot Model S. I called Tesla and they said they could replace it for somewhere between $900-$1200 but they don't accept insurance. They referred me to the local authorized Tesla autobody shop and stated that it was important that Tesla or the authorized body shop perform the work so that the Autopilot would be properly calibrated. When I called the Autobody shop, it sounded like they would have a regular windshield installer come in and do the work. Confusing.

Thanks!

I went through this fairly recently. When Tesla says they don't accept insurance, what that really means is that you pay the service center out-of-pocket and get your insurance company to reimburse you for whatever you're covered for. I ended up having the service center do the work because I wasn't sure how the autopilot camera calibration would be handled, otherwise. (It took several tries for me to find a service center that had the correct windshield in stock.) I got my reimbusement fairly quickly, just needed to send the insurance company the paid invoice. The invoice total was just under $1200, but my net after reimbursement was just the amount of my deductable ($500).

Good luck!

Bruce.

A 2012 MS P85 windshield was replaced recently at a Tesla approved auto body in SoCal. Since the damage was directly in front of the driver's view, State Farm had no issue with full replacement. Fortunately the $100 deductible made this a relatively reasonable repair. I had other work done while there. The paint hasn't looked this good in years.

A preorder for the windshield required advance payment of $520. Labor was 4.2 hours at $125 per hour totaling $525. Other parts were $60. Tax on parts and material were $44.95. The grand total: $1,149.95.

While the previously replaced windshield was version A, this new one is version C. All three windshields through the years have a slightly pink tint compared with the greenish tint of the side and rear windows. (My 2017 MS has a green tint front windshield.)

It appears that a small rock hit near the edge of the windshield in our 2012 MS 85, beyond what's visible from inside the car. As a result, we didn't notice the damage until we had an inches-long crack, unfortunately too late to repair the windshield. So we filed a glass claim through our insurance, using Safelite to do the replacement.

However, Safelite says that they are required to go through Tesla to obtain a replacement windshield, and that windshields are backordered. Tesla Service confirms that this is indeed the case. Consequently, we've been driving around for the last few weeks with a foot-long (and occasionally growing) crack in the windshield. It's not a huge issue, but I do hope Tesla is able to catch up with the demand for windshields!

When i had mine replaced due to a crack I went through safelite due to a corporate discount. I don't have AP but they advised me that my corporate discount wouldn't apply if I did, because they would have to buy the windshield from Tesla, and it would need to be sent to a body shop for calibration.

My point being, I'm sure you could go through insurance and a normal glass repair vendor, who would buy the glass from Tesla, bill the insurance company, and then coordinate to have the sensors calibrated too... thats how it was made to sound to me.

Something that might also be worth looking into is adding glass coverage to your insurance, so that if you need to file a claim to replace only your windshield, you're not paying your full deductible, though this may vary based on your insurance company.

For the company I'm insured through, they offer a $0 deductible glass coverage option so that if I ever need to replace my windshield, I pay nothing out of pocket. It only cost me an extra $40/year. Great deal, so I added it to my policy last year, and it actually came in handy as I had my windshield replaced just a few months ago. Without the coverage, I would have had to pay my full comprehensive deductible.

Something that might also be worth looking into is adding glass coverage to your insurance, so that if you need to file a claim to replace only your windshield, you're not paying your full deductible, though this may vary based on your insurance company.

For the company I'm insured through, they offer a $0 deductible glass coverage option so that if I ever need to replace my windshield, I pay nothing out of pocket. It only cost me an extra $40/year. Great deal, so I added it to my policy last year, and it actually came in handy as I had my windshield replaced just a few months ago. Without the coverage, I would have had to pay my full comprehensive deductible.
What company? I don't think Gieco does this, I wish the would :(

What company? I don't think Gieco does this, I wish the would :(

Allied insurance here in Southern California. They're a subsidiary of Nationwide.

My insurance agent never told me about it. Long story short, I had a minor incident where I found out I didn't have coverage I thought I did. Afterwards, I asked them if I was covered in certain other scenarios, and when they were unable to point it out in my actual policy, it prompted me to actually read my entire 100-page insurance policy, terms, and conditions. I then did research on available insurance coverage (e.g. glass, rental car, UI/UM, etc.etc.), and then went back to my insurance agent to basically do a comprehensive (no pun intended) review of my insurance policy to make sure I had all the coverage I wanted.

That's basically when I found out I did not have glass coverage, and when I found out how cheap it was for me compared to the potential cost of paying out of pocket for a deductible/new windshield myself, it was an easy decision to just add full glass coverage to my policy.

I'm at about the same. ~1800/yr, though I only have the 1 car. Clean driving record, no tickets, only accident was a relatively minor one where I was rear-ended on the freeway at about 15 mph...that was probably 6 years ago and the other guy was found 100% at-fault. Oh and yes, the 1 claim for my glass windshield replacement, though that was only relatively recently and the 1800/yr was based on no other claims.

Despite having all of those things going for me to help lower my premium, I also have a lot against me that raise my rates...gender, marital status, mileage driven per year, geographic location (maybe just a little?)...and the one thing that is probably hurting me the most: my age.

As an example - 2 years ago Wawanesa quoted me $2500/yr a year...1 year after that it magically dropped to $1600 a year. I have read many on here have great rates with AAA, yet quoted me over $5k/yr for my Tesla. So, I guess they have no appetite for young drivers of expensive cars.

Thanks!
Had mine done at dealer. $634 for gen 2, had to pay them and insurance then payed me (State Farm). $600 bucks cheaper than my BMW!!!!

I just had my windshield replaced. I'll be looking for new car insurance too, I had zero coverage. Another question - my new windshield has no shading at the top. I think my old one did. Just curious if anyone else noticed a difference when they got a new windshield. Below is the code on my new one. I wish I'd thought to take a pic of my old one.
IMG_1545.JPG