Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Rock Hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody had a windshield replaced in the MY? And had arock chip in the Florida Keys and I want to get a new windshield. Anybody have any experience in that? do they need any special tools for camera alignment?
For the front windshield you should only have a Tesla SC do this job. Not a third party shop. They do need to do some camera stuff, etc. I had a similar issue on my Model 3 and discussed with my Insurance and Tesla and had an agreement.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Has anybody had a windshield replaced in the MY? And had arock chip in the Florida Keys and I want to get a new windshield. Anybody have any experience in that? do they need any special tools for camera alignment?
Friend of mine had his M3 windshield replaced at a tune of $1400 at a SC. Luckily he had a $500 deductible on his insurance. Basically, you buy the glass from Tesla and a local SafeLite tech comes out and installs it. Then the SC tech recalibrated the camera afterwards. Although now you can do that in the service menu yourself.

• Love
Reactions: Klau2
Friend of mine had his M3 windshield replaced at a tune of $1400 at a SC. Luckily he had a $500 deductible on his insurance. Basically, you buy the glass from Tesla and a local SafeLite tech comes out and installs it. Then the SC tech recalibrated the camera afterwards. Although now you can do that in the service menu yourself.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm cought in the middle between tesla and USAA auto insurance.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm cought in the middle between tesla and USAA auto insurance.
I guess one silver-lining in the whole thing could be that now you can have the windshield tinted before it gets installed. It should be lot less labor-intensive for the tinter thus cheaper for you. Not to mention not having to deal with possible issues with water getting behind the dashboard.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
We had to get it done as well. Same price, which seems to make it standard, turned around at Pond Springs in Austin in one day. They will not out source it, and we were told that the "camera reintegration" is all rumor mongering, wasn't necessary in most cases. Glass coverage on these cars is a must as a result and was super cheap with Progressive.

SS

I heard even if you got the windshield replaced by a 3rd party, you still have to bring it back to Tesla to get the cameras re-calibrated. is that true? If so, you may not be saving much after paying Tesla labor for camera calibration.

Well, my windshield cracked today (dang truck through up a rock). I submitted a service request in the app for a windshield but appointments are 2 weeks out. I have SafeCo insurance and they want me to call SafeLite. We'll see if they can do it or if they will let me use Tesla. Fingers crossed.

Well, my windshield cracked today (dang truck through up a rock). I submitted a service request in the app for a windshield but appointments are 2 weeks out. I have SafeCo insurance and they want me to call SafeLite. We'll see if they can do it or if they will let me use Tesla. Fingers crossed.
They’ll have to source the glass from Tesla anyways. No one else makes the glass. Not sure if they can get the glass sooner than your SC.