Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield-Roof Gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model Y in November. A couple of weeks later I flagged the gap between the windshield and the roof. I don't have any leaks, but I do think I have wind noise. The gap seems to be large and the rubber gasket doesn't fully meet the roof. I tried one of those rubber roof rubber bands/gaskets but the gap is too large to make it hold. It just slips backwards.

I scheduled service at one SC #1, and they sent me to a body shop, who sent me back to the SC #1. Then SC #1 then sent me to SC #2 who sent me back to the body shop. So I'm stuck in a loop.

I have two questions
1) Is this a large enough gap that anyone will fix it (I'd say 5-6mm)?
2) If folks have had roofs replaced, was it done at an SC or a body shop?

Thanks

1642700247852.jpeg

1642700269760.jpeg

Seem's a little excessive to me. Mine is about 3/16 across the whole windshield. Gasket just barely touches. I think the only way they could fix your's is to replace the windshield. And that might cause more problems than you ask for. I don't think they'd want to replace the roof. If it's not leaking, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As for wind noise, that's s your call.

The gasket is purely cosmetic and to block debris.... The windshield and roof are sealed with a glue that's under the glass itself. I doubt they will fix it under warranty. You can get one if those "wind noise reduction" tubing strips if it bothers you too much.

Reactions: andaconda
Hi Pinetreek, I'll answer to my best of my knowledge. We at Vite Vitres Jacques have been providing services to Tesla dealerships and aswell as Tesla Bodyshops ever since they opened their services locations here . Based from my experience, and i will compare to the MODEL 3 so hear me out. The norm gap between the windshield, roofglass and backglass on a Model 3 is 3mm anything more can be factor in as a manufacture defect or missinstalled. Your local dealer would remove and reinstall.

I know yours is a Model Y but its the same approach. The windshield on the mondel Y has 2 pins on both top corners of the windshield once those pins are into the bodyframe you cant move the glass anymore. Same goes for your roofglass, there's a pins at front center and in the rear center. It is possible the pins on the windshield aren't at the right place and you see a bigger gap then the norm.

At my local Tesla Dealers they put in under warranty and I reinstall the glass at the right place. But only after they diagnose the issue is from the glass.

Best regards,
Shant Tarpinian
Vite Vitres Jacques
3750 jean talon west
H3R 2G7
Montreal Canada
514-733-9797