Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Shade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too have the Heatshield. Only 3 days before it was ready to pick up, also made when ordered. They’re in SF south bay area so was convenient to pick up and wanted to start using sooner than later. $40 without shipping. Here’s my comments after using for a bit.

I considered the accordion type one prior. Had picked one up locally. I noticed the Coverall one has stitched seams at every fold so you get light coming through at those points. Kind of see stitching everywhere as a weak point maybe...sun deteriorating the threads. The Heatshield is solid with stitching at the outer edges only. It also seems to be a softer core material. I saw someone review the Coverall folding one and said he scuffed his dash material trying to install it in place. Been using my Heatshield since first week of July and just looked at my dash and no marks and that’s with unrolling the shade with the bottom edge on the dash. I do the install/remove several times a day just about every day.

I think both products fit the windshield well but since the car’s visors don’t push right up to the glass, both sag a bit in the middle to meet the visor edge.

I’ve become pretty fast at installing and taking mine down. Mine rolls to 5-6” diameter. Not sure how wide the Coverall one is. I can’t see having a bag for daily use although I’ve read the Coverall one has a soft fabric on the inside area so maybe to keep lint/dirt off it during storage. I kept my box to store it in off season. The Heatshield is wipeable on both sides. It can also be ordered with a black inside. Both products look to have “wrinkles” of some sort. The Coverall price when I was looking seemed quite a bit more expensive.

I have the Tesla sunshade for the front roof section and bought the Heatshield as more protection from the sun hitting electronics, black dash area mainly, wood section and front seats. I’ve checked in on my cabin overheat protection and while I don’t see a huge temp decrease since using it it does appear my COP doesn’t come on with the frequency it was before on hot days so probably saving some battery so a little plus to the sun protection. Mildly hot days (80s- low 90s outside) with COP & AC not vent option on it tends to be around 98-100F inside when I’ve checked and never saw it rise to 104F to trigger COP. No one sat in the car this morning and at 2:15p It was 117F with the Heatshield installed, car sitting in sun on driveway at 80F.

Last edited:
Here’s a few photos.

3DC9145A-7429-496B-8242-36B10CF65E67.jpeg

B827DA1A-3BF9-4824-B434-AAE5BB23A48C.jpeg

97A5850E-3900-4167-91C4-7151455E3CDE.jpeg

BTW if you’re Model S for example has a dashcam or other devices mounted on the windshield and you live in the area, Heatshield can custom make your sunshade to fit your devices if you bring the car into them. Think they only charge $10 extra for that customizing.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
I got this one and it’s a perfect fit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CYGJ1TB/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It folds but completely covers the whole windshield.

This one is super rigid and doesn’t sag. I swing down the sun visors to hold them in place. I hope to use this for years.

I have this folding one as well, it just arrived a few days ago. Great sunshade, definitely the one I would recommend for anybody else who hates the flimsy roll-up ones that sound like you’re trying to open a bag of chips in the middle of the night while everyone sleeps.

I’ve found that the folding/unfolding can be a little tricky at first, especially if you’ve never had a folding sunshade. After a couple of days I figured out how to fold and unfold it.

I’ll post photos tomorrow.

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo