Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Smear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this is a common topic. There doesn't seem to be a proper search function on this forum. Most of the time I use the windshield wipers, I get a big smear of water that goes away in a few seconds but reappears with every wipe. I replaced the wipers but it didn't change anything. Based on what I've been able to Google, cheap wax/rain-x treatment from an automated car wash is the likely culprit. Lesson learned, one of many since this is the first nice car that I've owned. It seems there are about as many recommendations for removing this as there are opinions on car washing (a lot), but the one I've decided to try first is rubbing alcohol. I've also seen stuff about clay bars and 00 steel wool and all kinds of crazy solvents that I would never bring anywhere near my car. Has anyone on here experienced and successfully tackled this problem?

I’ve found that plain water with just a little bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid works very well. Use it on a cool windshield & wipe it dry before it has a chance to evaporate.

I’ve also found that wiping down the wiper blades with a cloth dampened with liquid glycerin does wonders to prevent & heal cracking & extend their life.

Reactions: stevevets
I’ve found that this works well both outside & also to remove the film that seems to accumulate on the inside. It’s a pain to reach the lower inside no matter what you use. I used to use washer fluid that contains Rain-X but stopped & it took several emptying of the reservoir plus several Dawn cleanings to get rid of the residue.

Rubbing / isopropyl lcohol (included in most winter fluids) cleans but will dry out the blades and any other rubber that it contacts. That’s why the comment about glycerin.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevevets
Well so far I've tried cleaning with isopropanol and using a clay bar. No dice. Either this coating isn't coming off or the problem is something else. Hopefully the smear doesn't block my vision too much next time I'm driving in a storm.

My wife had a similar problem on her Honda Accord. I did two things that seemed to help. First, I used a Magic Eraser (one of the products Chris Fix in the video above recommended) to thoroughly clean the windshield. I also used Mckee's 37 Tire And Rubber Rejuvinator to clean the rubber wiper blades. This second step may not be necessary if you put on brand new blades. Then again, maybe the new blades got exposed to the wax/stuff on your windshield too so it might help.

Try the magic eraser, i tjust might work.

• Informative
Reactions: TJ73
Are you sure the wiper is actually pressing where the smear appears? Try a squeegee to test that spot.

If the wiper is working and none of the cleaning ideas work, then I'd think the only choice would be to go for a hydrophobic coating, to create beading. Beading allows you to see, while smearing blurs your vision. If you can't clean it, then bead it.