Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield smudges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
I took delivery of my X in late September. It rained maybe once or twice before this month. I noticed when the wipers are on, I could barely see during the rain. I thought they are just bad blades or need breaking in so I'll live with it for a few.

Fast forward to December it started to rain more here. I still could barely see in the rain. The wipers created so much smudges and streaks that I couldn't stand any more. I stopped by the service center and without checking they just replaced the blades. For what it's worth, those new blades worked better on the first day.

The next day it rained again and I started to notice the same issue I had with the original blades. I figured it's probably some contaminant stuck on the windshield from factory. I spent the night trying to clean it. I used windex, baking soda, magic eraser, goof off, etc. It made ZERO difference.

I took a pic showing the smudges. They are perfectly fine during normal driving condition. It's just that during the rain when the wiper blades run across those smudges it makes the windshield blurry, and full of glares from oncoming traffic / lights.

This is only clearly visible when I use plain tap water and wipe on it using a sponge, but it's the exact same thing I see during the rain with the wiper blades on, inside the car.

@DougH is this the same issue you have?

IMG_1226.JPG