TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield So Difficult to Clean

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RichieTheC, Mar 28, 2016.

1. RichieTheC

RichieTheC Member

Is it just me, or is the glass used in Tesla windshields extraordinarily difficult to clean without streaks? I've tried several different glass cleaners without success. Any successes out there?

2. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Pressure wash + Aquapel. Stays super clean (on the outside).

3. mrjwen

mrjwen Member

I just use Windex and apply Rain-X. Haven't noticed a streak issue.

4. Petra

Petra Member

I've been doing okay with my usual, Stoner Invisible Glass... of course, the glass must be cool or the Stoner glass cleaner will just make a horrible streaky mess.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

I use a two towel approach. I first use the glass cleaner to clean the glass as best I can. Then I use the second (cotton) towel to polish the glass until the towel smoothly travels over the glass. I had the same problem until I began using this approach.

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

Another thumbs up for Stoner!

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I make my own home brew: 30% white vinegar, 60% deionized water, 10% isopropyl alcohol, either 70% or 90%. 90 is better. I find that Windex streaks. But it does a better job on the bug guts. I also use the two towel approach. I use scrupulously clean micro fiber cloths that I only use on the car's glass. I dampen one and use the other to buff right away when doing the inside. On the outside, I spray first, wipe with a sacrificial cloth and then do like the inside. I often find that I need to do it two or more times to get it right. A total PIA. But I'm obsessed. I've tried all sorts of things and this simple brew seems to work as well as the pricey stuff and it costs pennies.

One thing to remember on the inside is that the interior off-gasses for quite some time when the car is new. Especially when parked in the sun. Though the heat helps to off-gas more quickly so that you can be done with it. That lays a film of plastic vapor on the glass that is murder to remove. But over time, it goes away. Unfortunately, I always park in a garage, so I am still dealing with a little of it after 16 months or so. I have had this with every new car. Venting the pano, if you have it, and cracking the windows helps because it will vent out of the car, but not completely.

• Helpful x 1
  8. SPXMike

SPXMike Member

^^^Thanks for this. I also can't seem to get the glass right, and I was just thinking of picking up one of those spotless water filters that makes DI water because the water hardness here is really bad.

9. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

I like the emphasis on the outside especially with a pressure washer.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The two microfibre towel approach works the best for me.

11. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

If you are using ONR optimum no rinse to clean the exterior of your car, it is the best glass cleaner that I have ever used. Dip MF towel in bucket contains solution of ONR. Wring out very well, wipe interior glass and dry with waffle weave MF towel. You can also wipe down and dry all of your interior surfaces including display screens.

12. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Damp rag of any type (plain water is all you need). Wipe glass down. Dry/buff with microfiber towel. Works like a charm on inside and outside of glass. I washed the windows and mirrors in my house this weekend that way and the wife was impressed with how great they looked. I just bought myself a new job I suppose.

13. RichieTheC

RichieTheC Member

Thanks folks for all the replies. And to SPXMike, I have the spotless water system, which is absolutely fantastic on all parts of the car.....except the windshield!!

14. marty2112

marty2112 Member

i love using vinegar and water. Great simple cleaning solution. Plus this is fantastic to use on the inside....

617tw5Owj+L._SL1500_.jpg

15. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have really hard water here too. That's why I buy DeI water at the store. Yes, we are quickly wiping it off, so it should not matter. But I do find that it makes a big difference in both cleanability and in final finish.

This from an over the top obsessed guy. But I love the results!

16. brec

brec Member

17. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Water from the sink and a microfiber towel works pretty well. No streaks, simple stuff :)

18. aldenowens

aldenowens New Member

I think the windshield itself is some kind of construction unlike all previous car windshields. Hazy streaks are impossible to remove.

I have 2 other vehicles and have owned 20 cars over the years. The problem with cleaning this windshield is tied to the construction materials

19. msnow

msnow Active Member

No it's just like other windshields to clean.
    +1 to Stoner
    +1 to the 2 microfiber method

20. jmadams74

jmadams74 Member

I've owned many, many cars and this windshield is not like any other to clean. All of the above are good suggestions, but it is really strange that this windshield just can't be washed and STAY nice more than about 24 hours. Maybe it gets better with time (7 months here). But I still love the car:)