Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield stone chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schulz1983

Model Y LR AWD: Matte PPF, Vossen HF-1
May 14, 2021
High Ridge MO
How many people have had their windshields chipped from stones/debris? I’m curious if this is a problem with the model Y. We have only had ours for 3 months and received a rock chip today that can not be filled. Tesla service quoted $1300 to replace the windshield! Luckily we have $0 deductible for glass replacement. Not a big deal except for having to tint the front windshield again. I’m hoping the aerodynamics of the car don’t make it more susceptible to windshield chips.

Last edited:
I noticed their windshield glass gets beat up easily. I had mine replaced by Tesla because of some warping, but the new one after a month has lots of micro scratches/marks all over it. It isn't "clear" like other vehicles in the past. I guess soft paint, soft glass are a thing.

How many people have had their windshields chipped from stones/debris? I’m curious if this is a problem with the model Y. We have only had ours for 3 months and received a rock chip today that can not be filled. Tesla service quoted $1300 to replace the windshield! Luckily we have $0 deductible for glass replacement. Not a big deal except for having to tint the front windshield again. I’m hoping the aerodynamics of the car don’t make it more susceptible to windshield chips.
My tint guy told me to call him if I ever get my windshield replaced, because he can install it on the glass before it's put on my car and won't charge me for it (I'm assuming he bills insurance or something).

5 month owner, just over 14k miles. Mostly highway. Got a small chip, but a chip none the less. Went through insurance and safelite to fix with $0 deductible. Chip turned into a crack, said that happens sometimes. Getting a new windshield, still $0 deductible, but have to wait 3-4 weeks for them to get it. Oh well, not worried about picking up any more chips/cracks for the time being. After replaced, fingers crossed.

5 month owner, just over 14k miles. Mostly highway. Got a small chip, but a chip none the less. Went through insurance and safelite to fix with $0 deductible. Chip turned into a crack, said that happens sometimes. Getting a new windshield, still $0 deductible, but have to wait 3-4 weeks for them to get it. Oh well, not worried about picking up any more chips/cracks for the time being. After replaced, fingers crossed.
getting my MY windshield replaced this week. Took 3-4 weeks to get the glass. I don't really feel that the amount of chips/breakage is any more or less than the ICE CUV I used to drive.
I was surprised when I called my service center the windshield was in stock. My local glass company said they wouldn’t fill it as it was guaranteed to spread. With the $0 glass deductible I’m not to concerned about it. Tint guy is going to pick my vehicle up and tint the windshield again before I pick it up this evening. My Grand Cherokee I owned for 8 years before this had the original windshield. Just my luck on a new vehicle! Oh well I will add that to the 2 curved wheels I had to have repaired before going aftermarket 😂😂

My tint guy told me to call him if I ever get my windshield replaced, because he can install it on the glass before it's put on my car and won't charge me for it (I'm assuming he bills insurance or something).
I checked with my tint guy but he didn’t want to do it out of the vehicle. Tesla is going to release it to him so he can tint it before I pick it up. I figured it would be easier to tint out of the vehicle

What insurance is this?!?!!?

Took my Y in and had the windshield replaced yesterday. Overall not very happy. Once picking it up I noticed the top of the windshield is sticking above the top glass. I will attach photos. I suggest inspecting when you pick up. So now they have to take that windshield out and install a new one. Apparently they can’t be installed twice.
9F3A82E2-D789-48AB-985F-D2BCA170339A.jpeg
803AE15E-1C05-4CD9-8EE5-20DBF36CECB1.jpeg

here is a breakdown of the different laws regarding glass coverage by state and by insurance company.

I'm not sure how accurate your info is... I have Geico and was charged 500 for windshield replacement. It certainly wasn't free.