Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield streaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Tesla model 3 and notice under certain light conditions there appear to be streaks and what looks like "glitter" running down my windshield in various locations. I have cleaned the windows both exterior and interior to no avail. It appears to be with the laminate piece in the glass production process. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the process and solution for remediation?

There are countless threads on this topic or where this topic has come up... both the laminate glitter/speckles, poor quality of OE Tesla glass (even though the manufacturer is decent), film/haze/residue on glass, factory install suction cup marks on glass, glass pitting/etching, sandblasting, and overall difficulty in cleaning and keeping the windshield and most other glass on this car, clean.

'Search' and 'similar threads' section are your friend. Issue is that although YMMV, there seems to be no lasting solution to most of the above. Even brand new replacement windshields prove difficult to get and keep clean and blemish free.

Will Tesla replace the windshield if you complain enough about this glitter/speckles? Also, this sounds like something that happens during the manu of the glass. It's not something that happens during the course of ownership, right?

Correct, its a manufacturing defect but:

a. its now common across the industry, especially with laminated glass as large and curved as the 3/Y, somewhat X.

b. replacing (whether on Teslas dime or your dime) can result in a new windshield with an even worse laminate glitter/speckle.

The other issues are separate and just a matter of time. At this point Tesla glass, especially windshield, roof, trunk/tailgate glass should be considered a wear/tear item that sadly needs replacing nearly as often as tires (or more frequently).

It gets reported on here from time to time.

Seems more common with newer/recent windshields (both factory installed and 2021/22/23 replacements).

Nothing can be done. Replacement is the only option and it may be just as bad or even worse!

I have a new Tesla model 3 and notice under certain light conditions there appear to be streaks and what looks like "glitter" running down my windshield in various locations. I have cleaned the windows both exterior and interior to no avail. It appears to be with the laminate piece in the glass production process. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the process and solution for remediation?
I had the same problem. I would describe it as looking like the car had the equivalent of 100K mile of normal windshield wear/pitting. Problem was only noticeable early to mid morning or mid to late afternoon, but only when driving in the direction of the Sun.

For my car, there was an invisible layer of film on the outside of the windshield. I removed the film with a razor blade and detailers clay bar.

More info here (see my post #35) ....

Have you de-scummed your glass yet?