Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield stress crack Model X

Laurelhurst2

Dec 8, 2020
Seattle
I was driving over a mountain pass when it was snowing and I turned on my window defroster and right at the very center began a stress crack either from the heat cold differential or a bad windshield. I took it to Tesla service and as the crack has continued to move up my windshield it just so happened to find a little pit and now they’re trying to claim that that pit about 2 1/2 feet above where it began to crack was the cause. I took it to a glass company and they said that they have seen it before and I’m wondering am I the only one Being “gas lamped” by Tesla? I watched it happen and now they’re picking a part of my windshield that was never originally part of the crack.

Dirk

May 8, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I did have a real stress fracture that started at the edge of the window where it meets the hood area. It was below the area of the window that would have been exposed to rocks or chips so it was pretty clear where it started. Tesla did replace my window under warranty (third party changed it at my work's parking lot, very convenient). When a crack is in the middle of the window, I guess it becomes a "he says, she says" debate:(. Good luck getting them convinced!

lloyds

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
I had mine crack on the rear Model 3 glass. Service tried to blame it on the tint until I brought in photos of other owners w/o tint having the same issue of cracking. The service of Tesla really has gone downhill in the last couple years.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC