Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield stress crack Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving over a mountain pass when it was snowing and I turned on my window defroster and right at the very center began a stress crack either from the heat cold differential or a bad windshield. I took it to Tesla service and as the crack has continued to move up my windshield it just so happened to find a little pit and now they’re trying to claim that that pit about 2 1/2 feet above where it began to crack was the cause. I took it to a glass company and they said that they have seen it before and I’m wondering am I the only one Being “gas lamped” by Tesla? I watched it happen and now they’re picking a part of my windshield that was never originally part of the crack.

I did have a real stress fracture that started at the edge of the window where it meets the hood area. It was below the area of the window that would have been exposed to rocks or chips so it was pretty clear where it started. Tesla did replace my window under warranty (third party changed it at my work's parking lot, very convenient). When a crack is in the middle of the window, I guess it becomes a "he says, she says" debate:(. Good luck getting them convinced!

I had mine crack on the rear Model 3 glass. Service tried to blame it on the tint until I brought in photos of other owners w/o tint having the same issue of cracking. The service of Tesla really has gone downhill in the last couple years.

I was driving over a mountain pass when it was snowing and I turned on my window defroster and right at the very center began a stress crack either from the heat cold differential or a bad windshield. I took it to Tesla service and as the crack has continued to move up my windshield it just so happened to find a little pit and now they’re trying to claim that that pit about 2 1/2 feet above where it began to crack was the cause. I took it to a glass company and they said that they have seen it before and I’m wondering am I the only one Being “gas lamped” by Tesla? I watched it happen and now they’re picking a part of my windshield that was never originally part of the crack.
It happened to me twice and Tesla won’t replace it under warranty... i am really really pissed. Very poor service. They should know it happens to many of us... definitely a problem with the windshield!

Check your insurance policy, as it might have glass coverage. Maybe a $100 deductible and poof your problem goes away. If it happens enough, the insurance company will crawl up Tesla's shorts and demand a settlement, but the good news is you didn't have to worry about it.

It happened to me twice. The first time, they replaced under warranty, but this time they said warranty expired.
I think the warranty is for good product. This stress crack is clearly due to design flaw, or defetive parts..
They escalated case, but said the leadership/management declined.