Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield sunshade/cover/heatshield recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: I've had the Tesmanian sunscreens for a little while now, and they're exactly what I wanted.

Longer version: The sunscreens come (only) as a set, which includes the front roof (1 piece), second-row roof (2 pieces), second-row windows (2 pieces), and rear window (1 piece). Unlike Heatshields, these are thick mesh, so they're not completely opaque. Each has a stiff but flexible metal frame...if you have ever handled photography screens this will feel pretty familiar to you. They come in a zipper bag. There are some clips to help hold them in place.

First thing...be very careful when opening the bag and taking the sunscreens out! They are folded up for storage and they will unfold with some force. Also, you'll probably want to take note of how they're folded so you can put them back (basically hold them on opposite ends along the long dimension, and twist).

The front roof screen is (IMHO) the most useful, it seems to do a great job of blocking the heat and light coming in through the top of the windshield. It's the largest of the sunscreens. You'll probably want to put one or two clips on each side (left and right) to keep it in place, otherwise moving the sunvisors will knock the screen out of place (and probably onto your head). Due to the shape of the Model X window (plus the wiring channel to the rear view mirror enclosure), the sunscreen will not be flush against the glass. That's fine, although you'll lose a fraction of an inch of headroom with this screen up. Just make sure you have it far back enough to clear the interior cabin camera on the rear view mirror enclosure. There isn't a cutout for the camera, as we'd seen in some renderings, but with careful positioning you can stay clear.

The second-row roof and second-row window pieces just fit into place, and friction against the window frames holds them in place well. I've been using the roof screens but not the windows...they're pretty dark to see through. I guess I might pop one of the window screens on if I had a passenger sitting in the sun (at sunrise or sunset?). No clips are needed on any of these four.

The rear window sunscreen is dark enough that you basically can't see through it. We did a day of driving with it and decided to take it off. I believe I had a couple clips on the top of that screen to hold it in place, if I were to try it again, I might put some clips on the sides.

The set of screens in their bag fits reasonably well in the sub-trunk on my 6-seat Model X.

No relation to Tesmanian except as a satisfied customer.

Bruce.
Thanks very much Bruce for your kind and very detailed review of the Tesmanian sunshades. I am not entirely sure if they come from the same overseas supplier however I ended up purchasing from RPM Tesla because Tesmanian sunshades were on pre-order when I needed them.

Purely based on the online renderings, they look very similar.

Thank you again and glad that you enjoy the Tesmanian sunshades ☺️

Reactions: bmah
TLDR: I've had the Tesmanian sunscreens for a little while now, and they're exactly what I wanted.

Longer version: The sunscreens come (only) as a set, which includes the front roof (1 piece), second-row roof (2 pieces), second-row windows (2 pieces), and rear window (1 piece). Unlike Heatshields, these are thick mesh, so they're not completely opaque. Each has a stiff but flexible metal frame...if you have ever handled photography screens this will feel pretty familiar to you. They come in a zipper bag. There are some clips to help hold them in place.

First thing...be very careful when opening the bag and taking the sunscreens out! They are folded up for storage and they will unfold with some force. Also, you'll probably want to take note of how they're folded so you can put them back (basically hold them on opposite ends along the long dimension, and twist).

The front roof screen is (IMHO) the most useful, it seems to do a great job of blocking the heat and light coming in through the top of the windshield. It's the largest of the sunscreens. You'll probably want to put one or two clips on each side (left and right) to keep it in place, otherwise moving the sunvisors will knock the screen out of place (and probably onto your head). Due to the shape of the Model X window (plus the wiring channel to the rear view mirror enclosure), the sunscreen will not be flush against the glass. That's fine, although you'll lose a fraction of an inch of headroom with this screen up. Just make sure you have it far back enough to clear the interior cabin camera on the rear view mirror enclosure. There isn't a cutout for the camera, as we'd seen in some renderings, but with careful positioning you can stay clear.

The second-row roof and second-row window pieces just fit into place, and friction against the window frames holds them in place well. I've been using the roof screens but not the windows...they're pretty dark to see through. I guess I might pop one of the window screens on if I had a passenger sitting in the sun (at sunrise or sunset?). No clips are needed on any of these four.

The rear window sunscreen is dark enough that you basically can't see through it. We did a day of driving with it and decided to take it off. I believe I had a couple clips on the top of that screen to hold it in place, if I were to try it again, I might put some clips on the sides.

The set of screens in their bag fits reasonably well in the sub-trunk on my 6-seat Model X.

No relation to Tesmanian except as a satisfied customer.

Bruce.

I bought the exact same set. I have a similar user experience as you do, but there are two things I'd like to call out:

1) There is almost no way to unblock the interior cabin camera permanently. Even though I can push the sunshade all the way back to unblock it, after a few drives, it will slide slightly forward to block the camera again. I feel like this is a design fault. They could have added a small opening there.

2) I dare not to use second-row window pieces because I am in the SF bay area and it would be too dangerous to block the view of the rear cabin due to the high risk of car break-ins.

Even though almost every piece fits well, given that I can only use 3 out of 6 pieces in this set (I don't use the trunk window as well due to the same reason you mentioned), I would reconsider buying it if given another chance.

I bought the exact same set. I have a similar user experience as you do, but there are two things I'd like to call out:

1) There is almost no way to unblock the interior cabin camera permanently. Even though I can push the sunshade all the way back to unblock it, after a few drives, it will slide slightly forward to block the camera again. I feel like this is a design fault. They could have added a small opening there.

After using this for awhile I'm now wondering to what degree this is actually a problem. Maybe because I've never had the interior camera completely blocked?

It might be possible for them to make a notch where the camera is, but that'd complicate the shape of the metal frame that holds the shape of the shade.

2) I dare not to use second-row window pieces because I am in the SF bay area and it would be too dangerous to block the view of the rear cabin due to the high risk of car break-ins.

I think the main use case for the second row window pieces is to reduce the heat and light _when passengers are riding in the second row_. If you're afraid of break-ins, you can take them off when you park (takes like 5 seconds per side).

Even though almost every piece fits well, given that I can only use 3 out of 6 pieces in this set (I don't use the trunk window as well due to the same reason you mentioned), I would reconsider buying it if given another chance.

Fair point. The most useful piece of this is (at least for us) the front roof screen. If it were possible to buy just that, that'd be great. I think some of the no-name versions of the sunscreens can be bought this way.

Bruce.

Late to the party: I used to be anti windshield tint guy... but I am a believer now. I got all glass tinted recently with Xpel XR and XR Plus. Wow what a HUGE difference. XR on the side and rear hatch, XR Plus on the windshield and FWD glass. I mean, WOW what a difference. I am so much a believer I am thinking about having my other vehicle done as well. It's expensive yes, but if you live in a hot climate, I do recommend it.