Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield sunshade/cover/heatshield recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone using something to block the sunlight coming in through the Model X's huge windshield and heating up the interior and possibly degrading the leather, etc while being parked in sunlight for hours?

I have been looking at a bunch of options specifically for Xs and not sure which would be best.

Let me know what you are using and if it is working well. Thanks!

Have you checked out HeatShield?

I personally don’t have it for the X, but I have a pano sunroof cover made by them for another SUV. They actually did not officially have that cover yet at that time, but worked with me in getting measurements and made one specially for my SUV (as well as provided suction cups for mounting).

I just had 3M crystalline window tint installed all the way around on my X, including the front windshield. The tint is so light on the windshield you can't even tell it's tinted, but the UV blocking feature has already made a substantially noticeable difference when the sun is shining. If the long term promises are as good as the short-term, I know it is a good investment.

The only downside is the price. It isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I have the heatshields for the X. They fit nicely in the rear subfloor when not being used, and are lifesavers when you are sitting in the car at a Supercharger while on a summer trip. They are pretty easy to put up, and really block a lot of heat.

So I'm looking for a mesh sunshade solution specifically for the 2021+ Model X. I'd like a mesh that goes over the front seats that can be used while driving (basically the equivalent of what Tesla used to give with the older Model X). I get the impression that the dimensions of the 2021+ Model X are slightly different such that sunshade products for the older Model X might not or won't work. Has anyone found anything like that, which they know works?

(BTW I can recommend the Heatshields in general even though that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I have a complete set of Heatshields for my Model S and they work great.)

Thanks!

Bruce.

Is anyone using something to block the sunlight coming in through the Model X's huge windshield and heating up the interior and possibly degrading the leather, etc while being parked in sunlight for hours?

I have been looking at a bunch of options specifically for Xs and not sure which would be best.

Let me know what you are using and if it is working well. Thanks!
I had my windshield tinted with 50% film combined with the Tesla oem sunshade for the windshield is a great combo. Definitely made a very big difference in blocking out sun and decreasing heat levels in car. I have an extra OEM Tesla windshield shade for sale if you need one. They are hard to find at times.

So I'm looking for a mesh sunshade solution specifically for the 2021+ Model X. I'd like a mesh that goes over the front seats that can be used while driving (basically the equivalent of what Tesla used to give with the older Model X). I get the impression that the dimensions of the 2021+ Model X are slightly different such that sunshade products for the older Model X might not or won't work. Has anyone found anything like that, which they know works?

(BTW I can recommend the Heatshields in general even though that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I have a complete set of Heatshields for my Model S and they work great.)

Thanks!

Bruce.
BUMP... Anyone find a mesh sunshade as Bruce is suggesting?

Thanks!

Bruce.
BUMP #2... Desperately looking for a sunshade solution... it is now HOT and BRIGHT... Any ideas?

BUMP #2... Desperately looking for a sunshade solution... it is now HOT and BRIGHT... Any ideas?

Tesmanian has some mesh type sunscreens for the new Model X but they’re for pre order. I ordered a set, haven’t received them yet.

On bright, hot days I’m preferring to drive my Model S, which has a solid roof. I realize that’s not a solution for everybody.😆

Bruce.

Reactions: BonB
Moderator note: Merged from a different thread.

Does anyone have recommendations on which sunshade to use for the windshield on-the-go? While the panoramic windshield is cool, it is not "cool" on a hot sunny day. I would like something like this: Tesla Model X Front Sunroof Sunshade, but it would be nicer if it can be retractable that you can easily open/close with one hand. Does such thing even exist?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!

Bruce.
Hi Bruce, any heatshield product that you know work well for 2022 Model X?

Please let us know your experience with Tesmanian sunshades when they arrive. Currently is 1 month out.

Thank you

Maybe use a large sunshade? They have some in shops like Walmart, and you can also order a custom-made one. Custom shades are even better than the ones from shops because they are specifically made for my car.
I have several custom-made shades in my car, and I love them. They fit the windows perfectly, and passengers are well protected against UV rays. I can see that good material was used to make those shades, and they are worth the money. I got mine from snapshades.com.au, and the shipping didn’t take long. This was a really good purchase for its money.

Reactions: BonB
Hi Bruce, any heatshield product that you know work well for 2022 Model X?

Please let us know your experience with Tesmanian sunshades when they arrive. Currently is 1 month out.

TLDR: I've had the Tesmanian sunscreens for a little while now, and they're exactly what I wanted.

Longer version: The sunscreens come (only) as a set, which includes the front roof (1 piece), second-row roof (2 pieces), second-row windows (2 pieces), and rear window (1 piece). Unlike Heatshields, these are thick mesh, so they're not completely opaque. Each has a stiff but flexible metal frame...if you have ever handled photography screens this will feel pretty familiar to you. They come in a zipper bag. There are some clips to help hold them in place.

First thing...be very careful when opening the bag and taking the sunscreens out! They are folded up for storage and they will unfold with some force. Also, you'll probably want to take note of how they're folded so you can put them back (basically hold them on opposite ends along the long dimension, and twist).

The front roof screen is (IMHO) the most useful, it seems to do a great job of blocking the heat and light coming in through the top of the windshield. It's the largest of the sunscreens. You'll probably want to put one or two clips on each side (left and right) to keep it in place, otherwise moving the sunvisors will knock the screen out of place (and probably onto your head). Due to the shape of the Model X window (plus the wiring channel to the rear view mirror enclosure), the sunscreen will not be flush against the glass. That's fine, although you'll lose a fraction of an inch of headroom with this screen up. Just make sure you have it far back enough to clear the interior cabin camera on the rear view mirror enclosure. There isn't a cutout for the camera, as we'd seen in some renderings, but with careful positioning you can stay clear.

The second-row roof and second-row window pieces just fit into place, and friction against the window frames holds them in place well. I've been using the roof screens but not the windows...they're pretty dark to see through. I guess I might pop one of the window screens on if I had a passenger sitting in the sun (at sunrise or sunset?). No clips are needed on any of these four.

The rear window sunscreen is dark enough that you basically can't see through it. We did a day of driving with it and decided to take it off. I believe I had a couple clips on the top of that screen to hold it in place, if I were to try it again, I might put some clips on the sides.

The set of screens in their bag fits reasonably well in the sub-trunk on my 6-seat Model X.

No relation to Tesmanian except as a satisfied customer.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Tz00