Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield sunshade needed after ceramic tinted windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

A few weeks ago I went ahead and get my windshield tinted with ceramic tint, I was wondering if that's going to be enough for the car to be parked outside, or should I just get a sunshade anyway?

What windshield sunshades do you all recommend? Thanks all.

What windshield sunshades do you all recommend? Thanks all.
I would recommend a sunshade which is quite rigid, because of the size of the windshield.
Take one which is folding into flat pieces, and not rolling like a tube because it would be to soft.

81IMECf%2BiOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also try getting one with a black bag, so you can keep it flat, and not visible, on the self behind the rear seat when not in use.
In fact when folded, the length will be almost the width of the top of the rear seat.
It would be easier to grab it and less damaged, if it is stored inside the car than inside the trunk.

516lO3WAsoL._AC_SL1273_.jpg

I also had my windshield done with LLumar clear ceramic that boasts 48% heat reduction and 99% UV protection. Since UV does the most degradation of materials, I don't worry about it too much. I do, though, garage my 3 so it doesn't spend a lot of time cooking in the San Diego sun.
Heat build up can cause some delamination like the dash and headliner. A good sun shield like Watts_Up suggested would be a great idea for those times it's just sitting there, cooking. Yeah the interior heat program will help, but it doesn't kick in until 105° and keeping the AC on for long periods is out of the question. Good luck and enjoy that 3! I am!!! :cool:

I have ceramic film on my 3 including the windshield and I do not use a sunshade. The film does a great job keeping cabin heat at bay and it's parked outside everyday Mon-Fri at the office in sunny south Florida.
I have ceramic film on my 3 including the windshield and I do not use a sunshade. The film does a great job keeping cabin heat at bay and it's parked outside everyday Mon-Fri at the office in sunny southern California.

;-)

Reactions: Kleenerth3
I don't have ceramic tint on my windows but do use a sunshade on the windshield during the hotter months to keep the car somewhat cooler and the Cabin Overheat Protection coming on not as frequently. I also have the Tesla sunshade for my front row roof glass. We bought it for our 2017 MS with a sunroof (helps keep the bugs out when the sun roof is retracted) and found it helps cut down the glare of the sun too in the cabin. My Model 3 obviously doesn't have a sun roof but I like the darker interior and find it easier on the eyes so bought it for my car primarily for that reason. As the sun's rays hit the vented screening first it does keep the heat off the top of your head as well.

I have a Heatshield sunshade which is the roll type. I find it works probably just as well as the flat stiff version and as such is more flexible to move around so maybe easier at times. After a few times I got pretty fast at placing it and removing it. When removed I just chuck it on the floor in my second row (don't have passengers back there generally). It's easy to roll it up and whip the velcro strap around it and don't think I would ever want to stuff it in a bag if one was provided. Might be nice for long term storage I suppose but it's in my garage right now until it gets warmer and if it needs to be wiped down the surface isn't a fabric so cleans up with the swipe of a damp cloth.

Last edited: