TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield sunshade or just cabin overheat protection?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by hulk2k17, Jul 16, 2018.

1. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Is having a windshield sunshade really needed if cabin overheat protection is enabled? I've seen a few videos stating that shades in general don't reduce the cabin temperature but rather the temperature of the interior surfaces (dashboard, steering wheel, gear selector, etc.).

Your feedback is appreciated.

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I always use both on my Model S and Model X. The windshield shade really does make a difference, even though I have window tinting on my windshield.

3. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

The windshield sunshade helps tremendously here in Arizona. I have the Tesla roof and hatch screens installed as well. They also made a very noticeable difference in how quickly the car heats up (slower) and cools down (faster).

4. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

5. Duffer

Duffer TSLA Long

The cabin overheat protection gets quite a workout here in the Central Valley (100° or higher forecast for the remainder of the week) and using a foldable windshield sunshade has really helped in keeping the interior cooler.

The Photosync window tinting all around has also helped keep the seats/steering wheel not to mention myself cool as well.

Sunshade for Tesla: Model S: 2012-2018 Auto Heat Shield

6. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Sun damage is more than just the heat, keeping those nasty rays off things is important too.

• Like x 2
  7. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

8. BigCity

BigCity Member

I went the ceramic tint route on all windows including the windshield, made a huge difference for me. I'm in Indiana so can't speak to heat and sun from say AZ, but using both or all 3 wouldn't hurt anything lol.

9. mburnet6

mburnet6 Member

I'm in Georgia and I went the same route. After noticing the significant difference between previous car with tint to the S with no tint and then with ceramic tint, I had the same shop do the windshield.

• Like x 1
  10. BigCity

BigCity Member

Yep, I had always had tint, but never had tried the ceramic. Figured with a more expensive car and stories about weak AC in the S (not really IMO) before I bought that I might as well splurge. I was absolutely shocked at the difference, I will never ever own a vehicle that does not have ceramic tint all around on all windows. Best investment I ever made on my S, hands down.

• Like x 1
  11. apiske148

apiske148 Member

Tint made a huge difference for me as did a generic windshield reflective shade. Though the glass roof almost burns my hand when touched after being in the sun (parked or driving) I am thinking that is the next area to address

12. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Wouldn't tinting the roof darker cause it to absorb even more and make it hotter? Seems like some kind of reflective coating would be more effective.

13. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

#13 Russell, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Adding film (clear or tinted) to the roof will absorb more UV and make it hotter, but I would rather have that than faded interior or sunburned scalp.

Metallic coatings will interfere with radio signals such as your cell phone.

14. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

We recently traded in our 2012 S P85, spending all of its time in Texas - and didn't see any need to use a windshield shade or add extra film to the windshield or windows.

With the overheat protection and ability to pre-cool using the smartphone app, we didn't see any need for the extra protection.

And after 5.5 years of ownership and almost 100K miles the interior still looked fantastic, with considerably little visible deterioration of the dash, trim or leather seats.

15. mburnet6

mburnet6 Member

For me, it wasn't about protection, but rather to not make cabin overheat work as hard and the ceramic tint definitely seems to help.

• Like x 2
  16. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

i've used the sunshade to keep myself cool and private while napping in my car during a supercharger spot. You're right cabin overheat will keep the car at 105 but the sunshade will reduce the amount of power the car needs to maintain that temp

17. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

I do have ceramic tint on the windows and rear windshield. Nothing on the front windshield though, so that's why I was consider some kind of sunshade. Thanks for all the suggestions.