TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield Tint 70% / 90% to Combat Florida Sun

Discussion in 'Florida' started by TesLou22, Jun 19, 2018.

1. TesLou22

TesLou22 Member

Hello Team Tesla Florida!

Has anyone got ceramic tint on their winshield? I’m curious about feedback.

I understand 90% is “virtually” clear while 70% is a little less clear.

Any negative impacts to speak of?

Thanks!
    ~Lou

2. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Hi Lou,

It is legal to tint a narrow strip at the top of a windshield. Technically it is illegal to completely tint a windshield. That being said, it is unlikely that a 90% or even a 70% tint would be noticed by authorities particularly if you used the same level of tint on all the windows.

Larry

3. bugout

bugout Member

I have 70% in a single piece on my X. It really helps a lot. Works better than the Tesla sun shade.

4. TesLou22

TesLou22 Member

Thanks Larry and bugout...

Bugout, how long have you had your windshield tinted? Has anyone ever suggested something like “Gee, your windshield looks a bit dark... is it tinted?”

Thanks again!
    ~Lou

PS I’m looking forward to getting my windows tinted next week! I’ve already gotten a mild sunburn...

5. bugout

bugout Member

Hi Lou,

Nobody has said anything. It's barely noticeable visually and I don't feel like I'm catching on fire anymore.

6. First Impression

First Impression Local Vendor - Florida

Serving Tampa, Sarasota & Southwest Florida
    We used to do a lot of 70% tint on windshields. Now we mostly do 60% for added glare reduction during the day and at night. The film will not caused any issues with visibility at night.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. nyseman

nyseman Member

Do full windshield tints require removal of the rearview mirror and wire cover or would there be a cut-out?

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

#8 TaoJones, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    I encourage the OP to consider Photosync 75 or similar for the windshield after confirming that the installer has done many without issue. Such was my experience with both Ses so far; the glare reduction is particularly notable along with the heat rejection. The tint is essentially invisible.

Consider a $9 collapsible sunscreen from Costco along with tinting both pano panels as well (as dark as possible).

9. First Impression

First Impression Local Vendor - Florida

Serving Tampa, Sarasota & Southwest Florida
    Full windshield tint installations does not require removal of rear view mirror. The film is trimmed around it. You shouldn't be able to tell when done properly.

• Like x 1
  10. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I found the tesla pano sun screens work better than dark tint (on the pano roof windows). The kids appreciate the rear window sun screen when they are in the RFS. The rear screen is under the rear mounted blackvue camera and doesn't interfere.

11. obie_fl

obie_fl Member

I have 3M Crystalline CR70 on my windshield you would be hard pressed to really see that it is tinted unless you were really looking.

• Like x 1
  12. harajuka

harajuka Member

I have Photosync 75 on my windshield and also on all windows and trunk. It's great and hardly visible. You still feel a bit of heat coming through but definitely cuts the heat.