Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tint in one piece, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anybody do it in one piece by a chance?
I planned to tint my windshield with 75% 3M crystalline, but the guy said that it's impossible to do it in 1 piece and if I do I will see a borderline.

So I put this idea on hold for a while. Does anybody want to show your experience? :)

Anyone who says its impossible to do in one piece is not skilled enough. There are a bunch of reputable shops out there that have done one-piece install. You will have to pay a lot though, it averages around $700 for a one-piece install of windshield tint.

Is windshield tinting necessary in canada? im moving to rhode island, and seeing how the summers are never that intense im kind of content to just leave it be.

Reactions: jboy210 and P85_DA
Anyone who says its impossible to do in one piece is not skilled enough. There are a bunch of reputable shops out there that have done one-piece install. You will have to pay a lot though, it averages around $700 for a one-piece install of windshield tint.

Is windshield tinting necessary in canada? im moving to rhode island, and seeing how the summers are never that intense im kind of content to just leave it be.

Extreme Autowerks in Brea, CA does Tesla windshield tint (film) frequently and often. I believe they now average ~20 Teslas per week now. Many get wraps and tint, and some get tint and OptiCoat Pro Plus, from what I've seen recently. The last visit was to get pano tint finally. Quite the difference. The windshield tint (very light - you wouldn't know it was on the vehicle except for the glare reduction in particular).has been very helpful to reduce eye fatigue during the longer trips. Especially in mid-late afternoons and early mornings in my case.

I bring up Extreme Autowerks for 2 reasons - first, their work is beyond reproach. Their new wrap guy may be the best in the country. I call him the Wrap Whisperer. Second, their location is quite close to Disneyland. Soooooo no matter where you live, everybody can find a reason to go to Disneyland, right? Hey, take the family - make a road trip out of it :).

Anyway, the other thing that comes io mind with windshield tint is that it is critical to have a competent shop/installer do the work. Photosync is a good tint choice because there aren't that many authorized shops - those that are tend to know what they're doing. Don't hesitate to make time to talk to the installer directly. Ask the hard questions (For example, how do you keep water from farkling the 12 or more modules under the dash? Is C-Bond additive available so that the tint and additive combine to strengthen the glass/barrier to entry (see spate of SFCA triangle window breakins)). And then ask for references if there aren't a couple of Teslas getting worked on in the shop. Watch the process. Evaluate their attention to detail. Do they lean on your doors when they're open? That sort of thing. Be particular.

But I digress. Good luck. It takes a bit of looking and time to find a great shop, but look at it as a long term relationship for both your current chariot and all those to follow.

Can definitely be done - here's mine w/ PhotoSync. Even in WA with limited sun and low temps it makes a huge difference to the interior and I rarely use the sunshades anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_3241.jpeg
    IMG_3241.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 201