Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I edited my post. Don't want to present alternative facts or anything. ;) I agree that there is 25% visible light reduction with the window tint that I use. For my habits, environmental conditions, I will do it on every car, every time. The 58% Solar Energy Reduction, 87% IR Rejection, and 99.5% UV rejection is well worth the trade off.

I guess I don't have the use case where I am engaging in Aerial combat and need that extra 25% VL to determine if I'm running into a squadron of Mitsubishi Zeros or RAF Spitfires...

View attachment 213298

Driving 66 in a 65 zone is also illegal. That's a weak point

I'll take my chances on not dying from black ice in Orange County. It is up to the individual car owner to determine the risk benefit of all decisions.
Then you won't see that light oil spill ahead of you with a tinted windshield!

• Disagree
Reactions: hill and Blastphemy
I feel like most, if not all Teslas I see in Houston have tint on the windshield and sunroof( if applicable of course). Whether you have a MS or MX, Teslas have so much glass on the car and it seems almost irresponsible not to install a heat rejecting window film. Spectra Photosync 75%, or Ceralux 70% is the way to go for sure. Both are made by Prestige Films.

must be all my imagination then.

thanks for setting me straight!!
I don't think it's your imagination. I just had my windshield tinted after a few sunny days in (usually sunny) SoCal, where I was finding myself uncomfortably warm in the front seats, relative to my passengers. Since the tinting was installed (photosync 75) the difference is notable.

Anecdotally, I would also say my nighttime "ghosting" seemed to improve. It was never bad enough to bother me driving, but it was present. I wish I had a way to prove this, but I was never ever to really replicate the "ghosting" effect with a camera.

Reactions: DillyBop
My MX's windshield' has photosynch 75 and I cannot tell it's there. I also have AP2 and no issues whatsoever. I've used photosynch on my 2 MSs and no issues whatsoever. Great for those triple digit summer months where I am no longer blasting the AC to keep comfortable.

Tesla windshields are already metalized from the factory for IR and UV rejection. It's why tool transponders tend not to work. I don't think you're getting the benefit you think you are in tinting one...
I'd like to stop glare off emanating from the top of the X windshield, because the metalized factory IR & UV rejection simply doesn't do the job at the level we'd hoped. Then again, Tesla doesn't seem to have adequately conquered the ghosting issue for many either. IOW - saying ... just because it's 'Tesla' ... doesn't mean it's anywhere near as good as it COULD be, or even SHOULD be.
I have nothing to back this up but my DS told me you CANNOT tint the front windshield of a Model X with AP2 as it will interfere with the operation of cameras and whatever else they have that uses the windshield. ...........snip...........
you likely don't have an S w/ AP2 either. It's the same multi-forward looking system ... and it's not w/in the realm of possibility for installers to simply GO AROUND that forward looking batch of sensors / cameras. The fact that you CANNOT tint over THAT area is not the same as CANNOT tint the front windshield. Surprised the DS's world is so small that this concept escaped 'em. Um ... on 2nd thought ... maybe i'm not surprised.
;)

Last edited:
I have HW2 and did the front windshield (live in the Conejo Valley). There was a problem with the first installation, so I have to go back tomorrow to have them fix it. Whether or not I will recommend this installer depends on how they handle the fix: I'll circle back ASAP when that's done.

If only the device about which you speak ever provided truthful information instead of alternate facts and fake news that deceive a large portion of the population, then perhaps I'd trust a Google search.

I know you're just being funny, but did it ever occur to you that I used that device small enough to fit in my pocket to post this request for information? Just because you don't have any useful information doesn't mean there aren't others who can actually provide helpful guidance.

Too bad the only answers I'm getting are vacuous, sarcastic, or from people who don't know how to comprehend the language they're reading.

Although I did get several PMs from people telling me who not to use, which I guess is somewhat helpful, but doesn't ultimately answer the actual query.

No offence inteded via the humor - but we found our company via google, & it went quite well. And the fellow we used, actually made the drive from the L.A. area (which shows on your avatar) ... so ... maybe one of your PM'ers bad mouthed that very person/company - duno. If you ever make it down the the South O.C. group meet up - you can check out the application on my wife's X. Hope your search ends up going as well as ours did

Last edited:
And why would someone post "funny" to this? This is NOT funny. It is very serious. I've been riding motorcycles for 30 years and never had a tinted windshield. This is why I am alive today. A tinted windshield decreases your chances of seeing things on the road be it, debris, oil, ice, whatever? Unbelievable the stupidity I see on this forum sometimes!
You realize we are referring to a crystal clear tint. Tint doesn't always equal dark. Nearly every new car on every dealer lot has tinted windows...they look clear but they are tinted. The windshield tint is nearly clear...not dark...that's why we found your post funny. You were misunderstanding the post.