Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tinting for heat rejection without rainbow effect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to tint my windshield for additional heat rejection. However I hear some products can leave a rainbow effect, especially with polarized sunglasses. I'm currently looking at Xpel XR Prime Plus vs Spectra Photosync, is this something that the forum recommends to avoid the rainbow effect?

Regarding tinting levels:
  • 70-80% in the windshield is something I saw that won't impeded vision (especially at night-time)
  • 70% front windows (driver, passenger) since I want to maintain visibility
  • 70% for the 3 rear windows since they're already factory tinted
  • I'm not going for the matched tinted all around look, just wants some privacy & mostly heat rejection
Any reputable / recommended tint & PPF shops in the Los Angeles / OC area for the above?

I don’t have issues with Formula 1 tint. With the sunroof, I opted 50% all the way around and it doesn’t really feel tinted. In pitch black nights, I found it to not be an issue either as the headlights are strong enough to make up for those situations. 99% of where I drove has some sort of ambient lighting. YMMV.

70% won't provide much in terms of privacy (for reference, factory tint is 20%), but will work for some heat rejection. Photosync does have better specs at lighter VLT, but I haven't seen any confirmation with testing methods or comparisons between the two films. Ultimately, both films mentioned are top of the line and it will come down to the installer for the best result.

Last edited:
I have Xpel XR at 70% on the front windshield and cannot tell a difference in terms of brightness with vs without. I do not get any rainbow effect either so that's good. The only issue I have is due to the sloped angle, if I look closely, edges of cars or other things at a certain distance have a bit of a... blurriness to it? Almost like there's wrinkles in the tint. As I understand, this is due to the angle of the windshield - the tint on my other windows are all fine and the trunk glass is so tiny I can't tell whether the angle blur is there or not.

In terms of heat rejection - it was immediately noticeable. The car is cooler when it's hot out and warmer when it's cold out. I find that it gets to temp even faster and stays at that temp with less need for ac/heat. I have the tint on all glass except roof. 70% on everything except 20% on the front windows. I thought it would be too dark with 20% but after getting it back, I wished I went darker (I have white seats). The color match is VERY close but depends on the angle you view the car. The rears do seem a smidge darker (again depending on the angle). The fronts look similar darkness as the backs did stock. 70% made little to no discernable change in darkness to the back and trunk windows. Same with the windshield - can't tell a difference.

I have Xpel XR at 70% on the front windshield and cannot tell a difference in terms of brightness with vs without. I do not get any rainbow effect either so that's good. The only issue I have is due to the sloped angle, if I look closely, edges of cars or other things at a certain distance have a bit of a... blurriness to it? Almost like there's wrinkles in the tint. As I understand, this is due to the angle of the windshield - the tint on my other windows are all fine and the trunk glass is so tiny I can't tell whether the angle blur is there or not.

In terms of heat rejection - it was immediately noticeable. The car is cooler when it's hot out and warmer when it's cold out. I find that it gets to temp even faster and stays at that temp with less need for ac/heat. I have the tint on all glass except roof. 70% on everything except 20% on the front windows. I thought it would be too dark with 20% but after getting it back, I wished I went darker (I have white seats). The color match is VERY close but depends on the angle you view the car. The rears do seem a smidge darker (again depending on the angle). The fronts look similar darkness as the backs did stock. 70% made little to no discernable change in darkness to the back and trunk windows. Same with the windshield - can't tell a difference.
I have XR 70 on my windshield and your issue sounds like a glass defect, or more likely, poor film install. The installer may have been too aggressive when trying to shrink the film, or the install was fine and you have glass that has those waves in it and the tint pronounced it a bit.

Reactions: dagug
Does anyone have experience with using Solargard Vortex IR Ceramic tint? Is it comparable to XPEL or at least comes close?

VortexIR® Ceramic Film Series
Interested about this as well. I'm getting some quotes and Solargard Vortex IR is a lot cheaper than XPEL XR+
Specs seem comparable. Is it one of those "you get what you pay for" situation or is Solarguard a good film?

How do they compare?

I just had Llumar Air80 tint installed on my front windshield. There is rainbow effect but it differs with different polarizing glasses. The effect is more apparent to my wife with her glasses than mine.
Just an update I did get the Llumar Air 80 isntalled in my front windshield. Pretty happy with the heat rejection, clarify, although only slight rainbow effect with my polarized sunglasses but not distracting at all (only there if I look hard for it).

Reactions: PeteOC
I went with 3M Crystalline 70%. Live in very hot desert. Love it! Would not want any darker-Cop magnet in Calif. Really happy with it. No rainbow, with polarized glasses. It was $300.
  • Blocks 99.9 % UV Rays
  • Reduces heat – up to 97% infrared light rejection
  • Total solar energy rejected: up to 60
  • SPF of 1,000+
  • Reduces glare
  • No metal and no radio signal interference
  • Enhances visibility at night
  • Film doesn’t discolor
  • Lifetime warranty

I went with 3M Crystalline 70%. Live in very hot desert. Love it! Would not want any darker-Cop magnet in Calif. Really happy with it. No rainbow, with polarized glasses. It was $300.
  • Blocks 99.9 % UV Rays
  • Reduces heat – up to 97% infrared light rejection
  • Total solar energy rejected: up to 60
  • SPF of 1,000+
  • Reduces glare
  • No metal and no radio signal interference
  • Enhances visibility at night
  • Film doesn’t discolor
  • Lifetime warranty
Where in California did you get yours done? It was hard to find crystalline in the Bay Area. Only one shop who quotes 500 for the windshield alone. All others advertising 3M only did CIR

Where in California did you get yours done? It was hard to find crystalline in the Bay Area. Only one shop who quotes 500 for the windshield alone. All others advertising 3M only did CIR
I have used MasterShield for 2 Mercedes, 1 Porsche, 1 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-road , and the MSP. All for full PPL and windshield tinting. Very happy with them. MasterShield | Palm Desert's Paint Protection Specalists

I am looking to tint my windshield for additional heat rejection. However I hear some products can leave a rainbow effect, especially with polarized sunglasses. I'm currently looking at Xpel XR Prime Plus vs Spectra Photosync, is this something that the forum recommends to avoid the rainbow effect?

Regarding tinting levels:
  • 70-80% in the windshield is something I saw that won't impeded vision (especially at night-time)
  • 70% front windows (driver, passenger) since I want to maintain visibility
  • 70% for the 3 rear windows since they're already factory tinted
  • I'm not going for the matched tinted all around look, just wants some privacy & mostly heat rejection
Any reputable / recommended tint & PPF shops in the Los Angeles / OC area for the above?
I just got xpel xr plus on my model y and I immediately noticed the rainbow effect when wearing my sunglasses on my way home from the tint shop. I don't mind it but it's like seeing the world in technicolor for sure. No issues when not wearing sunglasses