Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield trace/streak that do not go away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

Since few months, I have streaks on my windshield. It does not affect my vision soo much but it's annoying. I tried multiple products, from heavy glass cleaners to steelwool and nothing worked.

I wondered if anybody in the community had this issue and if yes, how they handled it!

Thanks for any help!

IMG_6338.jpeg

I tried multiple products, from heavy glass cleaners to steelwool and nothing worked.
Steel wool! Not sure if this'll work then but one thing you might try is Barkeeper's Friend. It's safe to use on glass. Make a paste and rub it on with a sponge. Flush with lots of clean water.

As others have said, it may be damaged from a chemical. I would try to feel, using your fingernail, if the glass is etched in those areas.

Could be a type of hard water stain. Maybe try white vinegar w/water mix, lime a way, or some other cleaner that is used on shower doors.

May want to test clean on a small area to see the results. Keep us posted when you find the cure.

Steel wool! Not sure if this'll work then but one thing you might try is Barkeeper's Friend. It's safe to use on glass. Make a paste and rub it on with a sponge. Flush with lots of clean water.

As others have said, it may be damaged from a chemical. I would try to feel, using your fingernail, if the glass is etched in those areas.

Steel Wool is what Safelite recommended to use. Apparently, the 0000 grade is what they use to clean windshield when there are some streaks that do not go away. I will try Barkeeper.

When I use my fingernail, I feel there is something uneven. That is why I think I could probably fix it but haven't have much luck so far :-/

Circular polisher, cerium oxide, and water will fix almost anything on the surface. The resulting very smooth glass will sheet water enough to cause issues in heavy rain though. Rain-x is an easy fix for that.

Circular polisher, cerium oxide, and water will fix almost anything on the surface. The resulting very smooth glass will sheet water enough to cause issues in heavy rain though. Rain-x is an easy fix for that.

What kind of shop would do that? Safelite did not propose it. Should I try a detail shop?

Just try Barkeeper's Friend, without success. I start to lose hope!

MY-Y: Your advice is appreciated, I'm sure, but a bit dangerous for anyone w/o the skill to do the work.

OP: Have a detail shop/glass shop advise you. Internet advice is sometimes flawed, as none of us can actually see/feel your glass.