TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield washer doesn't spray and one wiper is wonky

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Ashkenaz, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

2,000 miles on car. No fluid comes out when I press button for first time. I checked manual, says I should get some warning and then goes on to talk about fluid types. I got no warning. I looked inside and couldn't really tell... how do you see in there?

Also, when running wipers, left one sort of flaps around a little, like it's not attached.

Before going to service, does anyone know anything about this? Cheers!

2. iffatall

iffatall Member

Just to cover all bases, are you pressing the button to the second level? The button has two press levels. The first level only triggers the wiper one time and is meant for manual wiping. Press further for the fluid to be sprayed followed by a couple of wipes.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. BertL

BertL Active Member

I assume you mean it "chatters", i.e. the larger driver side wiper skips a little like its temporarily stuck for just a bit of a moment as it sweeps back and forth... The problem perhaps being worse depending on your speed and/or wind direction, and even more perhaps if you have applied some sort of film or sealant/coating to the windshield.

If so, do a few searches. It's a known issue since M3 was introduced that some of us have had. Your SC may be able to help improve the problem, but I was told even after the adjustment that Tesla Engineers likely needed to redesign the blade to make it more stiff. There is no ETA for a permanent resolution and my incident was closed. Other owners have purchased a different Bosch Blade that does include a stiffener (not available via Tesla) and believe it improves the situation.​

• Like x 1
  4. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

Thanks Bert, that's exactly what I've found to be happening.

Iffatall, thanks I will try this next time I drive. Hope you're right!