Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer fluid running over side window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and just about every car on the road. It is just physics: the water wiped must go somewhere. This is one advantage sequential wipers have is the volume is reduce by almost ½ since it is distributed between the driver's and passenger's sides and with pivot wipers you tend to get the passenger's volume added to the driver's.

What is this P H Y S I C S thing yall talkin bout?

Also find this. Blue or whatever streaks on the left side of the car. Attracts smudges and dust always. Never had that on the myriad other vehicles I have. Only an issue until highway speeds then its just an unsightly dust attracting smear over the roof. Other vehicles it appears to channel down the windscreens effectively.

Reactions: BZM3
I have this issue as well, seems to have gotten worse in the two years I've owned the car. That might just be in my head though.

Some people above seem to be making a joke of the situation so I guess it's not that bad for them. Using wiper fluid above 20 miles an hour for me has essentially become entirely impossible without spreading the entire windshields worth of fluid deposits on the drivers window.

Sometimes I get lucky and the wind fully cleans it off dry, but most of the time I am left with residue marks from the dried up fluid and dirt from the windshield.

Not pleasant and have never experienced this once in the dozens of car's I've previously owned/leased, so no this is not normal and not akin to the sarcastic metaphors people are using above.

Unfortunately seems to be a design flaw that they hopefully pick up in their eventual redesigns....

Hi,

every time I spray washer fluid over the windscreen, the wipers move it to the left side of the windshield. So far so good. But depending on the speed you’re driving it runs over the side window (driver side). If the side window is closed, the window will be all dirty and smudgy (if that is really the correct description). As specially in the darker winter period this can lead to bad visibility in the side mirror.
BUT in summer, when the window is open........ well you know what will happen
Is it just me, or are more people annoyed by this?
I agree here. Design should account for that too. I have the blue streaks in the weirdest places inside of door sill, rear door sill, trunk sill. I will refill with my own concoction of fluid (distilled water, a few drops of Dawn dish fluid, isopropyl alcohol, RainX) that will take care of good washing fluid.
If we talk aerodynamics... I don't think water/air should be getting within panel gaps. I also had a few Audi and VW cars and consider their "water handling" properties superior to Tesla's. Not sure how much the gutter adds to worsening the aerodynamics though. Anyway, go with no staining fluid is the solution it seems.
Cheers.

I don't know an have driven many Vehicles that do the same thing.Like it was said its just physics and can't be controlled.

Yeah, I disagree with this. My last car was an entry level Chevy, and the wipers were top-notch. They sprayed a very fine mist on the windshield and worked wonderfully every time... even at higher speeds. Sure, high speed would certainly cause more of the mist to blow over the top of the car, but what the Model 3 does is *very different*. It pours the fluid out onto the windshield... too much of it and at the wrong spot (sometimes at the height of the wiper blades).

With the Model 3, you actually have to take care to not spray when the blades are pointing upwards... I've never worried about that in any other car I've owned.

Just my 2 cents. *Still*.... best car I've ever owned.

Reactions: calidreamz808
Hi,

every time I spray washer fluid over the windscreen, the wipers move it to the left side of the windshield. So far so good. But depending on the speed you’re driving it runs over the side window (driver side). If the side window is closed, the window will be all dirty and smudgy (if that is really the correct description). As specially in the darker winter period this can lead to bad visibility in the side mirror.
BUT in summer, when the window is open........ well you know what will happen
Is it just me, or are more people annoyed by this?
Summer time recommend if open window close mouth
Summer time ban on windows open and caraoke and or music that may induce impromptu sing a longs
Speed must be kept above 50mph at all times window open and wipers activated, Keau Reeves update must be installed to monitor speed and wiper use
See service bulletin CHUTYRGOB for additional recommended summer time windscreen cleaning procedures and warnings

Reactions: rpiotro
Bringing this thread back... Has anyone found a practical solution?

Can't take it anymore, I keep having to clean off the side window, it gets totally blocked with salt and smudge from the windshield wipers.

Does Tesla know about this design flaw?

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
The windshield of the 3 is basically flush with the A pillars for aerodynamics so of course the water is going to fly everywhere.

In most other cars there's a giant "gutter" that the water gets pushed into and across the roof.

I couldn't care less about it.

Reactions: rpiotro
IMG_4888.HEIC.jpg

Mine is like that too. People who don’t have salted roads don’t realize how much of an f’n mess it makes.

Not only that, the wipers are *sugar* on a salty windshield.
Exactly!! Finally someone understands me...
The wipers are a joke. And who ever wrote the software for auto wipers should come visit me... I'll teach them a lesson they won't forget!.... :mad:

Even though I'm in love with my Tesla, I DREAD driving it when it's slushy/snowy outside

Hopefully now that Tesla has expanded to Europe and outside Elon's backyard, it will become more of a worldly car.

😑

Last edited: