Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer fluid running over side window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

every time I spray washer fluid over the windscreen, the wipers move it to the left side of the windshield. So far so good. But depending on the speed you’re driving it runs over the side window (driver side). If the side window is closed, the window will be all dirty and smudgy (if that is really the correct description). As specially in the darker winter period this can lead to bad visibility in the side mirror.
BUT in summer, when the window is open........ well you know what will happen
Is it just me, or are more people annoyed by this?

Hi,

every time I spray washer fluid over the windscreen, the wipers move it to the left side of the windshield. So far so good. But depending on the speed you’re driving it runs over the side window (driver side). If the side window is closed, the window will be all dirty and smudgy (if that is really the correct description). As specially in the darker winter period this can lead to bad visibility in the side mirror.
BUT in summer, when the window is open........ well you know what will happen
Is it just me, or are more people annoyed by this?

yeah, standard on the 3 and really annoying. When you drive at speed a lot of it will run over the roof and then sort of run down the rear windshield and stop there as its shielded from the wind and then get baked in leading to waterspots.

I would put rainx or equivalent on the windshield, only use distilled water in the washer reservour and keep using the washer to a minimum.

Reactions: PianoAl
yeah, standard on the 3 and really annoying....
...and just about every car on the road. It is just physics: the water wiped must go somewhere. This is one advantage sequential wipers have is the volume is reduce by almost ½ since it is distributed between the driver's and passenger's sides and with pivot wipers you tend to get the passenger's volume added to the driver's.

• Disagree
Reactions: Avid and BZM3
;););)
...and just about every car on the road. It is just physics: the water wiped must go somewhere.

yes, can’t defy physics ;)
But my VW and Audi have a kind of gutter which redirects the water upwards to the roof. As I’m an engineer, I already thought about 3D printing such a device..... but first need think a bit about this.

;););)

yes, can’t defy physics ;)
But my VW and Audi have a kind of gutter which redirects the water upwards to the roof. As I’m an engineer, I already thought about 3D printing such a device..... but first need think a bit about this.

It lacks those gutter systems for aerodynamics. If you or Tesla adds them, the efficiency and appearance of the car declines.

(Water on the side window)
Or
(Less efficient, and a hit to the appearance.)

??

It will definitely effect the aerodynamics, but will that be noticeable? Besides most of the other cars on the market don’t have this issue, so i’m convinced there is a working compromise between function, aerodynamics and ecstatics.
But let me experiment a little bit with this, I’ll keep you informed ;)

Reactions: BlueNSX
It will definitely effect the aerodynamics, but will that be noticeable? Besides most of the other cars on the market don’t have this issue, so i’m convinced there is a working compromise between function, aerodynamics and ecstatics.
But let me experiment a little bit with this, I’ll keep you informed ;)

Keep in mind, most other cars on the market, don’t need to have optimum efficiency, so they don’t consider that in the design as much.
There is a happy medium, but you will lose efficiency/range.

Reactions: rpiotro
You can solve the annoying washer fluid on the driver side window by accelerating really really fast as you wipe. Then the fluid goes over the top!
You think I'm joking, I'm not! I just went out in the heavy rain to test. As the wiper reaches the end of its stroke, give the accelerator pedal a hard, but brief, push. That'll send the fluid up and over. If you're careful, it'll add only 2mph of speed, per push. Enjoy.