Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield washer pump not ejecting fluid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of a sudden my windshield washer pump is not ejecting washer fluid. You can hear the pump working, the reservoir is full, but nothing comes out.

So yesterday I made an appointment for the mobile service van to come out and just now I received a text message that 'We're aware of the washer issue and it will fix it in a future firmware fix'.

So how does a pump that is pumping but not ejecting fluid, get fixed in a firmware update. I'm all ears.

TBH, washer fluid is a safety issue. If they are so confident that it’s a firmware issue, they can roll you back to a firmware version where it works... sounds like BS to me though; I’d push back.
That’s exactly what I said to them. They got back to me and said that the service group confused my request and thought my issue was with the auto wipers, not the washer pump.

So I’m back to the mobile service appointment. They’re coming out with a new pump, filter screens etc. since they don’t know yet what’s causing the issue.

Don't know how mechanical you are but jacking the car up and removing the front left tire are the hardest part of changing the pump, and the pump is like $40 at least for my 2014.

I am more mechanical than most and in this case I consider doing this to be less hassle than waiting for someone to show up to do it.

Don't know how mechanical you are but jacking the car up and removing the front left tire are the hardest part of changing the pump, and the pump is like $40 at least for my 2014.

I am more mechanical than most and in this case I consider doing this to be less hassle than waiting for someone to show up to do it.
Since the car is under warranty, I'll let them do it. ;)

My washers also stopped working, coincidentally not long after I had a service appointment and they listed on the invoice that they had topped up the fluid reservoir. It acted as if there was no fluid, but there was no low level alarm indication. To be sure, I topped up the fluid reservoir myself, but all I could get out of the nozzles was a dribble.
So, I submitted a service request, figuring that the pump had died. After a few more days and s day or two before the appointment, I tried the washers and they worked! I stopped by the service center and told the service writer that the washers seemed to be okay and did they think I should keep the appointment, just in case, or not. His comment was that the lines and/or nozzles can get clogged and block fluid flow, and sometimes the blockage gets cleared up on its own. He must have been right, because at least two months have passed, and the washers are working fine (well, at least as well as they ever did).
So, I hope the OP's washers get cleared up as easily.
In case it makes a difference,m i have the heated washer nozzles (as part of the sub-zero package, formerly an option).

IMG_0317.jpg

I am mechanical, but also curious. I watched several youtube videos of repair and they all removed the wheel and fender liner.
I turned my wheel full left, removed the two bottom pins of liner, pulled it back and accessed the pump right there. Wheel removal wasn't needed, at least on my 2015 70D.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: SSedan and David29