Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Washer Stream

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does not appear upon visual inspection that the Windshield Washer sprays are adjustable. The inside sprayer on the passenger side shoots the water above the windshield and over the top of the car. I don't see any sort of adjustment. In any case I am surprised that the sprayers put out a steady stream rather than a spray. I think other manufacturers discovered long ago that the mist approach of washing the windshield was better.

In any case, it started shooting over the the top of the windshield recently and nothing has been done to them as far as I know. I did have the car in to the SC recently but that was for another matter and nothing to do with the windshield washers.

Anyone else have problems with the aim of the stream?

Mark

The top third of my windshield hasn't been adequately cleaned by the wipers since day 1. They've tried different wipers, confirmed that the jets are no longer adjustable, and pretty much haven't been able to solve the problem.

As long as the sunlight is indirect, it's generally not as much of a problem. The slight warpage outside the field of view in one spot and the micropitting since early on are more noticeable unless one is driving.

A spray bottle and extra microfiber towels are on hand during travel as manual windshield cleaning is necessary at most if not all SC stops.

And so it goes.

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
I figured out how to adjust. Each jet is a little ball in a socket much like your eye. They can be pointed in different directions. However, just a very small movement makes a big difference. Moved mine down just a touch and it's not perfect. Now off to solve more of the world's problems. :)

Mark

Earlier cars were produced with nozzles that provided two adjustable narrow streams on the right and left side of the windshield. Those streams are adjustable to move the individual nozzles.

The newer cars have nozzles that spray a wider horizontal stream on each side of the windshield.

My early 2013 P85 has always had problems with the nozzles. It appears that opening and closing the frunk would periodically knock the nozzles out of alignment - often to the point where the spray no longer hit the windshield. And I would spend long periods (and much washer fluid) trying to manually adjust the individual nozzle heads to get them re-centered on the windshield.

Two months ago, I paid $100 for Tesla to replace the original nozzles with the new horizontal spray nozzles. And that has been an improvement.

BUT... I'm back in the same spot. The nozzle on the driver's side now hits the wiper, blocking the spray, until the wiper has started moving across the windshield. So I have to hold down the washer button long enough to let the wipers get onto the windshield, and then get enough spray to wash the glass.

My car goes in for 75K service next week, and I'm going to have them check this out (again). Surely there is some way they can keep the washer nozzles from losing their positioning when the frunk is opened and closed...

My car goes in for 75K service next week, and I'm going to have them check this out (again). Surely there is some way they can keep the washer nozzles from losing their positioning when the frunk is opened and closed...

Hopefully you are closing your Frunk according to Tesla's instructions. If so, I don't see how that could impact the adjustment. If you are slamming the Frunk closed, I could see how that could cause them to move over repeated closings.

My guess is that the nozzle is simply loose in the socket and vibration is casing it to move over time.

The frunk is being carefully closed - with two hands, as recommended by Tesla. It's not clear why the windshield washers keep falling out of alignment - and this has been a problem reported to Tesla multiple times over the last 3 years. Will try again to get this addressed next week with the 75K mile service.

The frunk is being carefully closed - with two hands, as recommended by Tesla. It's not clear why the windshield washers keep falling out of alignment - and this has been a problem reported to Tesla multiple times over the last 3 years. Will try again to get this addressed next week with the 75K mile service.
I will be very interested in learning what you find out. Did you have alignment problems when you had the washers with the stream or did it start after you paid the $100 to switch to the spray version?

I've had the alignment problems since receiving my car in early 2013 - with the original nozzles. Those nozzles would get out of alignment periodically, and would either need to be adjusted by Tesla during one of my service visits, or by me (which typically used a lot of washer fluid and time).

I was hoping the new "fan" spray nozzles would work better - but the nozzle on the driver side moved out of position within a month.

During my 75K mile maintenance yesterday, Tesla replaced the driver side nozzle - and hopefully it will work better.

For cars with the original nozzles, I highly recommend the $100 upgrade to the fan nozzles - they provide much better coverage. And even if the nozzle doesn't hit the center of the windshield, it still provides enough fluid to get the windshield clean.

Hopefully this time it's fixed - and I won't have to adjust the new nozzles in the next few months...

My experience with the fan nozzles on my 3 week old MS is if I am standing still much of the spray goes over the car and if I'm on the highway at 55mph the spray only goes 1/3 up the windshield so the top section of the windshield never gets wet. I haven't figured out just the right speed.

I found a squeegee at auto zone that has fluid in the handle and a scrubbie behind the wiper blade - makes it easy to clean the front and back windows - since I don't stop at gas stations anymore :)

I've had the alignment problems since receiving my car in early 2013 - with the original nozzles. Those nozzles would get out of alignment periodically, and would either need to be adjusted by Tesla during one of my service visits, or by me (which typically used a lot of washer fluid and time).

I was hoping the new "fan" spray nozzles would work better - but the nozzle on the driver side moved out of position within a month.

During my 75K mile maintenance yesterday, Tesla replaced the driver side nozzle - and hopefully it will work better.

For cars with the original nozzles, I highly recommend the $100 upgrade to the fan nozzles - they provide much better coverage. And even if the nozzle doesn't hit the center of the windshield, it still provides enough fluid to get the windshield clean.

Hopefully this time it's fixed - and I won't have to adjust the new nozzles in the next few months...

I have asked and asked again, Tesla SC will not "upgrade" the nozzles for me. Seems I am stuck with the old style.

Why do washer nozzles and wipers never work on the DRIVER side?
My washer nozzles shoot something between a stream and spray. My wipers then streak it across the driver side

No matter what, the middle third of my windshield stays dry with streaks. Rest of the windshield... nice and clean.

ONLY dirty and streaked where my eyes look

One plus, my nozzles are very good at cleaning my all glass roof:rolleyes:

Why???!

Strange, I have a 2014 and a 2017 and both have awful spray nozzles. I have subzero on both cars so I'm thinking they might not install the fan nozzles with subzero? Do you guys with fan type nozzles have subzero?
I'm starting to consider squeezing the end of the nozzle to flatten out the spray pattern a bit. Anyone tried that yet?

Subzero here and it's a jet of water not fanned. Shoots all over. Windows on side, all glass roof and over the entire car. Just stupid. Also I hate that motors on wipers are LOUD and that wipe action leaves 4" band on drivers side affecting vision.