Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Washer Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way this is designed is pretty good however to allow the windshield washer pump to function on the bottom of the downstroke for a second or so simply does not work well most of the time. I guess if the car is stopped and there is no wind, the sun is rising, the temps are around 70F and you can see a flock of birds to the east then it may work OK.

Why in the world can they not allow the washer pump to operate as long as the stalk button is held in? Why can I not choose how much fluid I need as the car really does not know in the fashion it is set up. The worst part is its the drivers lower side that is not receiving enough fluid. This is definitely a simple fix on a future upgrade.

Yes I did verify the hoses are well connected, even detached them and blew them out with compressed air. Both points of exit on each wiper work fine except for the fact they do not expel enough fluid for most conditions. Heck I even use Expel on my windshield and even with this the results are mediocre.

The way this is designed is pretty good however to allow the windshield washer pump to function on the bottom of the downstroke for a second or so simply does not work well most of the time. I guess if the car is stopped and there is no wind, the sun is rising, the temps are around 70F and you can see a flock of birds to the east then it may work OK.

Why in the world can they not allow the washer pump to operate as long as the stalk button is held in? Why can I not choose how much fluid I need as the car really does not know in the fashion it is set up. The worst part is its the drivers lower side that is not receiving enough fluid. This is definitely a simple fix on a future upgrade.

Yes I did verify the hoses are well connected, even detached them and blew them out with compressed air. Both points of exit on each wiper work fine except for the fact they do not expel enough fluid for most conditions. Heck I even use Expel on my windshield and even with this the results are mediocre.
Thanks for posting this. I thought I was the only one with this issue.
Washers are OK if its raining but try getting rid of bugs on a dry day. All I got was bug guts smeared over the windshield and the driver side was the worse. The washers are simply badly designed with only one nozzle per blade that shoots water over half the windshield. Dont think a software update is going to fix this problem.
Classic "form over function"...nice clean looking hood, lousey windshield washers. My old Saab would flood the windshield with six jets located on the hood, two cycles and the windshield was clean.

One of the quarks of "Designed in California" .. It barely rains there

I can't say that I've ever had a problem with the amount of washer fluid being pumped out or how the wipers operated. I use my wipers and washer fluid semi-frequently to remove dust and bug splatter.

I'm still on the OEM wipers and I treated it with some rubber protectant a long time ago.