Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield washers not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, be sure you are pushing the button on the left stalk. Pressing the right stalk button is park... for newbies this happens.

Did you top up with water and weather change to freezing? Your washer lines are frozen.

Is ice blocking your jets? The wiper system in the car has very little clearance.

Tips: there is a wiper service mode to park wipers mid screen. Clear your ice.

Open the frunk, and you have access to all the ice.

Do not try to lift wiper arms up more than an inch from the screen.

Well I stopped at a gas station and looked then I went to the car wash not frozen everything looks normal just very little pressure.
And they were never that good in the first place squirter always just barely got to the windshield even when it was zero out

Normally the windshield washer spray should go pretty far up the windshield. I haven't had any problems even with the cold weather we have had this past week.
If the windshield washer container is full and ScottM suggestions don't work, I'ld call the SC to get it fixed.

Be sure to use the best anti-freeze you can lay your hands on. Remember, there's no ICE up front to keep things warm. I was using -45 degree stuff and when it's really cold it comes out kind of thick and doesn't spray as far. I now use some -49 degree stuff that is quite a bit better.

Make sure you are pressing the button in all the way (2 stops) - the first stop just activates the wipers, second stop is to activate jets. Are you hearing the pump's whirring sound?

I did the same thing the week I got my Tesla, and promptly felt like an idiot. Short press for wiper sweep. Full press for washer fluid. You won't break it by pressing in further until you feel the "click"

Be sure to use the best anti-freeze you can lay your hands on. Remember, there's no ICE up front to keep things warm. I was using -45 degree stuff and when it's really cold it comes out kind of thick and doesn't spray as far. I now use some -49 degree stuff that is quite a bit better.

So true, I used typical grocery store -35C blue stuff and it becomes ineffective at around -15C... stopped spraying at all.

I think Costco sells stuff good to -45C (I think, and it's not blue but some other color - green?) Which reminds me need to pick some up.

The heated nozzles with winter package are pretty much useless and cannot correct the situation of fluid gel up / freeze.

Need to park in heated garage for a few hours to thaw the lines and nozzles.

I know I know, just haven't gotten around to adjusting them. Just thought it was crappy placement from the factory

It's really hard to dial in a proper spray pattern and there's very narrow margins of tolerance of getting the spray from the nozzle to the glass without hitting the wiper arm or hood sheetmetal... Poor placement of the nozzles. I would have much preferred they mounted the nozzles on top of the hood near the cowl rather than on the underside of the hood. I do not think the aerodynamic hit would cause any less range for the car. It comes down to a cleaner aesthetic hiding them under the cowl, at the expense of poor function.

Form over function.

Oh, Elon.

I am very close to getting the drill out and retrofitting a proper set of nozzles on top of the hood.

But before I do that, I want to see if I can get wiper arm mounted nozzles ... these would be best.

• Funny
Reactions: Tezzie
Hi,

I read through this thread completely (used to work, makes the motor sound, only use proper wiper fluid in reservoir, etc). I have cleared this on other cars with a pin. However, I can't see where the opening is. It seems like the wipers themselves have the squirters, because there is a tube running up them. It there a picture showing where the nozzle is?

Thanks,

Scott Franco

@Scott Franco wait WHAT!? Are you talking about model S? Tubes up the arms would be news to me, and a welcome thing for new buyers. Has Tesla finally addressed this on new model S's coming out now, how old is your car ??

Tubes up arms on my model 3 is far better than the model S fixed squirters under the hood.

I'd want to retrofit these onto my old model S...