Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Weatherstripping Missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of Y today. When inspecting, discovered what appears to be missing weatherstripping on both sides where windshield meets hood area. As pictured, the weatherstripping ends about three inches from the bottom edge of the glass (almost symmetric on both sides), leaving a 1/4" gap. The rubber gasket adjacent to the edge does not cover the gap. The gap appears to look down into the frame / hood area. I drove home in moderate rain, and did find water drips under the hood area, but not in the frunk compartment. So question please? Is the Y missing some weatherstripping, or am I not understanding the assembly?

I did look on my Audi and Honda, and there is absolutely no gap where the windshield meets the firewall / hood area.
IMG_0966.JPEG
IMG_0965.JPEG

Give me your thoughts and/or opinions please. Thanks.

@akatwn Glad you posted this, I just took delivery of my MY 11/18 (Wednesday) as well and noticed the same thing and was going to come back here with pictures and ask. It does seem odd and odd finished that they wouldn't put this all the way across. It I also thought it was a big strange that there was no rubber seal like this around the rest of the windshield or glass areas.

Anyone actually have a MY with this weather stripping all the way across the bottom?

IMG_4074.JPEG Windshield.jpg

I think that is a design failure even though it might not affect anything or cause any issues down the road.

However, my MY whispers on highway from somewhere at the front. I checked the front window and did not find any problem on the rubber seals. This area is now highly suspected.

Reactions: Za_c
I think that is a design failure even though it might not affect anything or cause any issues down the road.

However, my MY whispers on highway from somewhere at the front. I checked the front window and did not find any problem on the rubber seals. This area is now highly suspected.

I tend to agree, leaving open gaps around any of the glass areas leaves these spots susceptible to wind noise and worse water damage when water collects in these areas. I noticed even the rear glass does not have any kind of rubber seal around it so it exposes the lip and under the lip of the glass all around.

However, my MY whispers on highway from somewhere at the front. I checked the front window and did not find any problem on the rubber seals. This area is now highly suspected.[/

I tend to agree with you that this may be a design flaw. I'm going to place some masking tape over the gaps and see if that alleviates the wind noise. If masking tape does not work, I'm going to fill the gaps with malleable putty weatherstripping and see if that helps.

I added this as a discrepancy to my list of items following touchless delivery, and will report back on what my Tesla Service Center in Dublin CA says.

@akatwn did you have a lot of issues with your deliver? I found 2-3 Paint Issues and about 8 alignment issues. One thing I am not happy about is I was told I had 3 days/100miles to potentially refuse delivery. However the Service Center couldn't book an appointment with me until a week from now and the service center in my area isn't even open on Saturdays for me to have them look at the issues.

I did send my list over to my SA and I won't be driving the car until they look at it for fear of them claiming it was wear and tear.

@akatwn did you have a lot of issues with your deliver? I found 2-3 Paint Issues and about 8 alignment issues. One thing I am not happy about is I was told I had 3 days/100miles to potentially refuse delivery. However the Service Center couldn't book an appointment with me until a week from now and the service center in my area isn't even open on Saturdays for me to have them look at the issues.

I did send my list over to my SA and I won't be driving the car until they look at it for fear of them claiming it was wear and tear.
Interesting that you were told you had 3 days/100mi to potentially refuse delivery. I was told 3 days/100mi to document discrepancies. I have a list of 10 discrepancies, all minor for the most part except for a small but deep paint scratch on the liftgate; One door doesn't close properly, has to be slammed; weatherstripping at bottom of windshield seems suspect; tear in upholstery on center console lid; liftgate not aligned properly, recessed in on one side; charging port door sticks out; one coat hanger will not close; one wheel well liner is torn, hanging down; passenger's side rear seat back does not line up with middle seat back, forward by a couple of inches; scratch on center pillar. This is actually not as bad as I was fearing. The overall body fit was solid except for the liftgate. Inside was outstanding overall.

Now my beef is with the Tesla app. It would only accept one discrepancy, then assigned me a service date, and wouldn't let me enter the rest of the discrepancies. So I was left holding the bag on how to document the other items before the 72 hr/100mi limit. Many comments in forum about app only accepting one report at a time. So I put together a word doc describing each discrepancy with pics, and sent that to my local Service Center in Dublin CA, asking them to acknowledge email. Six hours later and no response, and needing to drive the vehicle, I starting calling the Service Center. I could simply not get anyone to answer the phone or return my calls. Finally got a guy in Sales, and he tried to get someone in Service to pick up the phone, no joy, said they would call back. End of day nearing, finally got a real person on the 877 #. This kind young lady was on the ball, knew exactly what my issue was with the app and the need to document the discrepancies, said I did the right thing in sending email to Service Center, she wrote down each discrepancy as well to document and send to the Service Center herself, then said go ahead and drive the vehicle, that all the necessary documentation was complete.

So love the Y, but ticked off at Tesla for making it so difficult to document discrepancies within the 3 day/100mi time frame. This touchless delivery is necessary due to pandemic, and at least Tesla is doing the responsible thing there, but the Tesla app just isn't designed to accept multiple discrepancies discovered at touchless delivery. I'm sure they'll get it figured out in due time, but it made for a very painful experience for me (and probably many others).

I've rambled on long enough on this topic. Airmax2020, I feel your pain. I suggest you call 877-798-3752, document your discrepancies with them and have them forward to your local Service Center, get their go ahead to start driving the Y. Don't let Tesla hold you hostage LOL. I know you will enjoy the Y, so document, relax, and start driving the beast!

Reactions: Berkshire1
@akatwn Well whatever my SA told me about being able to refuse delivery after 3 days was a lie. I was able to e-mail me SA all my issues via word doc with pictures similar to yours. My SA had me come in today to document all the issues in advance of my Service Appointment which literally was pointless.

I go in today and come to find out I can't refuse delivery! and that Tesla no longer has their 7 day return policy. I just started a new thread to get some help for opinions on what to do now. I am perplexed on how I could have refused delivery if I was never allowed to look at the car before signing all the paper work. Turns out they want to mark most of my issues as "within spec" which includes putting touch up paint on some smaller paint chips. Not happy.

This touchless delivery is necessary due to pandemic

It’s more of a convenient way for them to push you to accept the car as is. Most people don’t bring it back for service once they drive it off. They start to overlook build quality issues unless they are functional items. It’s psychology, once the car is yours you are more likely to overlook things to make yourself think you made the right choice in accepting the car. No other manufacturer has to do this touchless delivery.

It’s more of a convenient way for them to push you to accept the car as is. Most people don’t bring it back for service once they drive it off. They start to overlook build quality issues unless they are functional items. It’s psychology, once the car is yours you are more likely to overlook things to make yourself think you made the right choice in accepting the car. No other manufacturer has to do this touchless delivery.

Not exactly. Covid19 has everyone doing it now.

Coronavirus and car buying: Every automaker offering home delivery - Roadshow