TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield/windshield wiper issue on 70D

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by GlmnAlyAirCar, Jul 7, 2015.

1. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I took delivery of my 70D on June 1. It was raining that day. On the way home, I noticed some arcs on the windshield where it appeared the wiper was not making full contact with the glass. No big deal; I figured it was just some dirt on the wiper blade. However, cleaning it off did no good. So, when I had the car back to the SC to have some innocuous noises checked out, I had them replace the wiper blades. At first, all was OK. But we've had a rainy summer here in PA and, after several days of driving in the rain, the original arcs came back and then some.

I brought my car in yesterday to have it looked at. All they could come up with was that there could be some chips in the windshield that happened during transportation that could be chewing up the blades. Now they want to replace the entire windshield. I applaud Tesla for proactively trying to solve this issue, which is overall relatively minor. However, I'm not convinced this is the problem. It seems unlikely to me that tiny (they must be small as they can't be felt) chips in the windshield could cause this. I have run into situations in the past where the windshield has gotten coated with paint overspray (too light to see but can be felt) that chews up wipers. But that was something protruding from the glass, not a recess in the glass like they suspect.

So, I'm a little bit skeptical, yet I can't figure out what else it could be. I'm also wondering if I'm opening up a can of worms by letting them replace the windshield and all of the things that could go wrong in that process.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this? Has anyone had their windshield replaced and run into problems down the road?

Thanks!

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If Tesla wants to replace the windshield I would let them. It will be an original factory windshield and they will warranty it.

3. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Had the windshield replaced 10 days ago. Since then, we've been on a 1000+ mile family road trip in all kinds of nasty summer weather. Wipers are clearing great, so the windshield must have been the problem. As a bonus, the SC noted a sound when operating the pax side window (I hadn't noticed it). They replaced the entire door handle assembly that was interfering with the window. Great service in Devon, PA!

Of course, that experience pushed me to jump on the prepaid service plan hoping the great experience will continue. I ran the numbers and it appears to be a good deal now, especially since the alignment and tire rotations are included. But that's a topic for another thread.