Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper arm scraping metal under the hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

just wanted to hear opinions on this wear.
Seems the wiper arm is bending to far upwards and scraping the hood as it passes.

_20180504_124226.JPG

Any known remedies?
Only other mention of this i can find is two years back in this section of the forum.

Regards
- Robert

make sure the wipers are adjusted correctly. There is a mark on the windshield as to where the wiper should be set. We discovered one of ours was too low when on our first trip and our first rain. The service center sent out a roving mechanic to adjust it.

I have this too. It's the bushing in the wiper linkage is worn out, and has developed play. The spring pushing the wiper down causes the knuckle to push up, making it hit the underside of the frunk hood. I suspect that Tesla would offer a new wiper linkage but I'm going to get the bushing out and see if it's a size I can get my hands on and replace.

Same issue.
Ranger was here yesterday for the CCS upgrade, and I showed him the problem.

He told me it's a known issue (described above by @Tomilett ) and Tesla proposes a new wiper assembly. Quoted about 600€ all in.
I'm above 200.000km, so I guess this is normal wear.

As this is only going to get worst, and eventually eat the aluminium and be visible, I'll have the repair done.

If someone has a cheaper solution with that bushing, I'm of course interested.

Hi all,

sorry for the delay, haven't been on here in a while.

yes - it needed a new wiper assembly and new wiper arm (the latter only because the black coating was scraped off, no mechanical need to replace it). Unfortunately they didn't seem to think a replacement bushing was possible.

the new wiper assembly was £124 ($160) - I don't remember what the arm was but less than £50 I think. I just fitted it myself as it's pretty easy. I imagine (and based on @AustinP post above) the labour is a lot more than the parts.

Tom

Hi all,

yes - it needed a new wiper assembly and new wiper arm (the latter only because the black coating was scraped off, no mechanical need to replace it). Unfortunately they didn't seem to think a replacement bushing was possible.

the new wiper assembly was £124 ($160) - I don't remember what the arm was but less than £50 I think. I just fitted it myself as it's pretty easy. I imagine (and based on @AustinP post above) the labour is a lot more than the parts.

Tom
Thanks for the update.
I had it replaced by the Tesla mobile service, but they only replaced the wiper motor/assembly, not the arm. It is indeed partially silver where it used to rub, but so be it. 600€ was enough money spent already.

Hi all,

Tom

Hi! Where did you get the new wiper assembly for that price? Tesla list price is 490€, but that is the whole thing including new motor etc. It's not that expensive if you only need to do it every 200000km, but sounds a bit waste to replace bunch of working parts.

Hi all,

Just found this post searching for an issue I'm having and adding my experience for the record.
My car has about 100k km (late 2017) and I just noticed it now.
Unfortunately, by the time I noticed the issue, the wiper has taken a significant chunk out of the edge of the trunk / boot.
Have to say that this looks like a design flaw that Tesla should be covering.
I'll contact Tesla now and will update here when I hear back.

Attachments

• wiper 3.jpg
    wiper 3.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 817
  • wiper 2.jpg
    wiper 2.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 647
  • wiper `.jpg
    wiper `.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 698
Hi all,

Just found this post searching for an issue I'm having and adding my experience for the record.
Unfortunately, by the time I noticed the issue, the wiper has taken a significant chunk out of the edge of the trunk / boot.
you might be lucky if still in warranty - you really have managed to wear away the bonnet there! Mine has a little wear on it but nowhere near as bad so it's not noticeable. I was outside warranty when it happened so I wasn't in any position to get a new bonnet, but you should push for that as well as the wiper mechanism and damaged arm.
Yes, it's a crappy bushing to wear away and cause that kind of play/rise in the arm after <4 years. No doubt the Californians didn't consider how much the wipers would be used in places like the UK and IE!

Hi all,

Any update? I just discovered the exact same issue with a significant chunk of my hood missing.

Hi all,

I meant, my model s dos this too.
What I need to change. The motor to the windshield wiper, or something more?

If you buy from Tesla, they only sell the complete assembly which includes motor and the mechanism. But actually they can be separated easily. So if you buy used part you might be able to buy without motor.

Also it looks like it would be possible to just change the bushing that is loose, but I don't know where you could buy a replacement.