Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper controls are the worst about a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Windshield wiper controls need to be on a stalk so they can be enabled without taking your eyes off the road. The automatic setting is NOT fast enough to react to situations like a semi spraying the car with snow/slush or heavy water. Very dangerous and to be searching the screen for high speed wipers at 75 mph while driving blind.

ICE cars had this figured out a long time ago. Tesla went for form over function and is endangering lives.

Windshield wiper controls need to be on a stalk so they can be enabled without taking your eyes off the road. The automatic setting is NOT fast enough to react to situations like a semi spraying the car with snow/slush or heavy water. Very dangerous and to be searching the screen for high speed wipers at 75 mph while driving blind.

ICE cars had this figured out a long time ago. Tesla went for form over function and is endangering lives.
Yes...this does suck. So what I've done is press the button on the stalk to trigger it to start and that pops up the wiper controls....it also buys some time to quickly hit the wiper where I want or request it via voice...it still sucks no matter....But you don't have to search around for it....the fact that you have to take your eyes off the road or rely on a slowish voice command is not great...
For something that is clearly a safety feature, it seems not well thought out. They've made some assumptions there..and they were bad ones...

Last edited:

I had this issue three weeks after picking up MY in. Had to get a service visit, the tech came out and replaced the module. When I asked him what caused the issue, he stated that he suspects the old Module was just defective. I haven't had an issue since the repair. No amount of hard resets, or anything would get the old one to work.

Report safety issues here: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

Reactions: cwerdna
I'd like to change the wiper speed settings using the stalk, rather than looking at the screen just at the time where driving conditions are changing.
I think a simple upgrade would be to have the stalk button scroll through the wiper speed settings....then a long press could turn them off. Feel free to let Elon know..
Cheers.

Agreed. We've only had our tesla for less than 24 hours but we took it on a long drive today and it rained hard. The "auto" controls for wipers are OK, but not dialed in quite right. Basically, they are too slow in heavy rain and their consistency is off. Sometimes they are too fast, and sometimes too slow, but in heavy rain they are almost always not fast enough in "auto" mode. We had a constant change between mist and super heavy rain and it's very very distracting to have to look on the screen to change the speed.

Furthermore, changing via voice commands is too slow when driving at high speeds and unable to see the road. I timed it and from pressing the talk button to command activation it was over 6 seconds (press button + wipers max command). It's a safety issue when it takes that long to see out the window traveling at highway speeds.

I have a 2022 MY and compared to my older M3, the auto-wipers are much worse at turning on and setting the right speed.

The worst is a light mist at night. I can see fine when there are no oncoming cars but when one does come with its headlights on I can't see a thing.

To it seems like the mist and light rain collect more on the bottom of the windshield - maybe due to the aerodynamics of the airflow, thus the camera doesn't see it as much rain and keeps the wipers on low.

They need to add a "sensitivity" setting.

This is just a matter of opinion. While I respect the OP's, I prefer the cleaner Tesla setup and interior. When I get into a "other brand vehicle," I find the stalk with a plethora of symbols and small buttons confusing and not intuitive; it is more dangerous to figure out than the Tesla setup. The single button on the stalk is sufficiently fast to respond quickly if needed (no slower than a "traditional car setup") and I can activate wipers permanently by screen or voice command. It's never caused me to sweat.

Again, I respect the OP's opinion, but I disagree.

2023 Model Y owner here. I'm frustrated that the windshield wipers come on when in Automatic setting even though there is no rain or moisture in the air. Any kind of humid weather seems to set them off. Because of this annoyance I have changed the setting from Automatic to Off so that I can control the wipers manually which I prefer anyway. However, when Auto Pilot is engaged the setting is changed to Automatic by the software and EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO RAIN the wipers have been coming on pretty much every time lately. This is highly annoying, especially with a very clean car/windshield.

Anyone else have this issue? Can the sensitivity of whatever is sensing the moisture and turning on the wiper all the time be adjusted???

Highly annoying.

I have scheduled a service appt for this problem for next week.

Thank you!

Ian Stuart

Welcome to TMC! Since you're new, you're not aware that the "inappropriate" activity of the Auto wipers is a major annoyance for all of us. Changes have been rumored/promised, but so far, no software update has altered the quirky behavior.

I would advise you to cancel your service appt for this problem, as there's nothing they can do to fix the issue. It's a waste of your time. ;)

Reactions: LindyLoo
Welcome to TMC! Since you're new, you're not aware that the "inappropriate" activity of the Auto wipers is a major annoyance for all of us. Changes have been rumored/promised, but so far, no software update has altered the quirky behavior.

I would advise you to cancel your service appt for this problem, as there's nothing they can do to fix the issue. It's a waste of your time. ;)
Agreed. It's a giant annoying issue. I have also switched my wipers to manual. They need to fix this or reimburse us for the wipers turning on for no reason and messing with an expensive carwash.

No, keep the appointment. The more $$$ this costs Tesla the sooner they might at least let us disable auto.