Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Feature Request

Would you prefer this feature to active setting 3 or 4

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to request a feature that will turn on the wipers to either the number 3 or 4 setting (normal speed, continuous or fast, continuous) quickly, using the button that activates the single wipe. If this button is pressed 2x in succession, the wipers would turn on and stay on. I have had numerous occasions where I needed the wipers to come on very quickly and could not afford to look away from the road to find the button on the screen. Pressing the button 2x currently, does nothing.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else? How do you go about submitting a feature request?

I would like to request a feature that will turn on the wipers to either the number 3 or 4 setting (normal speed, continuous or fast, continuous) quickly, using the button that activates the single wipe. If this button is pressed 2x in succession, the wipers would turn on and stay on. I have had numerous occasions where I needed the wipers to come on very quickly and could not afford to look away from the road to find the button on the screen. Pressing the button 2x currently, does nothing.

Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else? How do you go about submitting a feature request?
Over time I have learned, use a number of the Tesla voice commands. I only need to press the right scroll wheel, say "Wipers On" and the windshield wipers start wiping.

Does this turn the wipers on to setting three? I believe I have tried this and they set to a delay. In times where there is a heavy mist or road spray, the wipers either will not wipe automatically or set to a delay that is not capable of keeping the window clear.
If you just say "Wipers On" then the windshield wipers come on at a middle level, either 2 or 3. You can also say "Wipers Maximum" and the wipers come at at level 4. You can say any of "Wipers On", Wipers Off" or Set wipers to 1/2/3/4",

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
This is helpful info. That being said, I think all of this would be less important if the wipers did a better job of sensing rain in auto mode.

I find it odd that the auto sensing function is not very reliable in my Tesla since this wiper technology has been in existence for 20+ years. Do others have this same problem?

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
I wish there was a setting that when it was cold outside and you sprayed windshield washer fluid, the car would turn the defrost on the windshield on for about 20 seconds so the liquid didn't just freeze onto the windshield. My audi used to have this feature and I always thought it was weird until getting the model Y and realizing why it had it. When it is really cold outside, without the defroster on for a few seconds the water freezes pretty quickly onto the windshield then the wipers are just smearing a very thing layer of fluid all over the windshield before it freezes.

I wish there was a setting that when it was cold outside and you sprayed windshield washer fluid, the car would turn the defrost on the windshield on for about 20 seconds so the liquid didn't just freeze onto the windshield. My audi used to have this feature and I always thought it was weird until getting the model Y and realizing why it had it. When it is really cold outside, without the defroster on for a few seconds the water freezes pretty quickly onto the windshield then the wipers are just smearing a very thing layer of fluid all over the windshield before it freezes.
How cold is really cold? Winter washer fluid premix (the commonly sold blue premix) contains methanol. Undiluted, the blue washer fluid premix does not freeze unless the temperature is below -20 to -25F (-29C to -32C.) In Alaska they sell washer fluid that contains antifreeze, protects down to -40F/C. (I don't see how 20 seconds of heated air from the defroster would help prevent untreated washer fluid from freezing.)

How cold is really cold? Winter washer fluid premix (the commonly sold blue premix) contains methanol. Undiluted, the blue washer fluid premix does not freeze unless the temperature is below -20 to -25F (-29C to -32C.) In Alaska they sell washer fluid that contains antifreeze, protects down to -40F/C. (I don't see how 20 seconds of heated air from the defroster would help prevent untreated washer fluid from freezing.)
Idk I have issues with the fluid freezing to the windshield at around 10 degrees or less. My car was one of the recent ones that the heat stopped working in the middle of the snow storm 2 weeks ago and we quickly learned to not use the windshield washer because the liquid would freeze to the windshield if we did that and we had no way of melting it from inside the car.

It sounds like a weird request but I've had 2 cars that did this (ironically both Audis) and I never understood why until having issues with the MY.

Idk I have issues with the fluid freezing to the windshield at around 10 degrees or less. My car was one of the recent ones that the heat stopped working in the middle of the snow storm 2 weeks ago and we quickly learned to not use the windshield washer because the liquid would freeze to the windshield if we did that and we had no way of melting it from inside the car.

It sounds like a weird request but I've had 2 cars that did this (ironically both Audis) and I never understood why until having issues with the MY.
I would suggest using up the remaining washer fluid in the reservoir. This could take a while as the washer fluid reservoir in the Model Y holds ~1.2 gallon. Try a different brand of premixed washer fluid designed for winter use down to -25F even if it costs a little more.

This is helpful info. That being said, I think all of this would be less important if the wipers did a better job of sensing rain in auto mode.

I find it odd that the auto sensing function is not very reliable in my Tesla since this wiper technology has been in existence for 20+ years. Do others have this same problem?
Yes, it's terrible - particularly in snow or salt spray conditions. The wipers seem to be tuned to Southern California conditions and can detect a wet windshield but not one that is so obscured you can barely see through it.

Yes, it's terrible - particularly in snow or salt spray conditions. The wipers seem to be tuned to Southern California conditions and can detect a wet windshield but not one that is so obscured you can barely see through it.
What's weird is the car should be able to tell at least somewhat when the windshield is too wet because the cameras no longer can see anything.

Another request - I have had my 2015 MS for about 8 months. Just ran out of windshield washer fluid the other day. I looked around for the idiot light that should have warned me to fill up.

There isn't one.

After a while I noticed a little white triangle on the navigation screen. When I touched it, I got a dialog box telling me that my washer fluid was low.

What's wrong with an idiot light? I get one when my tire pressure is low. Right there in front of me where I can see it.

I consider this to be a driving hazard. As anyone who has to deal with winter knows, salt and slush will build up on the windscreen until you can see nothing.

Does Elon ever drive these cars in the winter? Doubt it.

On MY there's a very obvious popup warning for low fluid on the car status display. Maybe it's missing for MS but that's a pretty serious oversight.
That is my recollection; the Model Y has a pop up warning when the washer fluid is low. (The Model Y washer fluid reservoir holds 1.2 gallons. Unless you use the washer fluid all the time that should last several months.)

That is my recollection; the Model Y has a pop up warning when the washer fluid is low. (The Model Y washer fluid reservoir holds 1.2 gallons. Unless you use the washer fluid all the time that should last several months.)
Ha! I've refilled twice in the past month or so. Dried salt spray uses up a lot of washer fluid because it takes so long to reach the bottom of the driver side wiper.