Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Fluid and Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought some "Splash" windshield washer fluid and it's been fine. I didn't seek out that brand specifically; it just happened to be on the shelf wherever I bought it. (I thought it was at Target, but I don't see that specific brand on Target's Web site, so I may have bought it somewhere else.) I don't think the brand really matters for this application, although I do recall seeing different formulations advertised as remaining liquid to different temperatures. If you live in a very cold climate, you might want to pay attention to that detail.

Using water, as @Jo060 suggests, might work OK in Florida, but wherever the temperature drops below freezing, water would freeze in the winter, so I'd advise against that unless you never travel into such areas. Even if you live in a warm climate, there can be freak weather events, like the Texas ice storm from early 2021.

Using water, as @Jo060 suggests, might work OK in Florida, but wherever the temperature drops below freezing, water would freeze in the winter, so I'd advise against that unless you never travel into such areas. Even if you live in a warm climate, there can be freak weather events, like the Texas ice storm from early 2021.
I think that goes without saying.

Reactions: Transformer
Just did a tongue in cheek tutorial for my "annual Tesla maintenance" to torque off all my EV hating friends on Facebook. 😁

Tim

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 11.37.29 AM.png

Seems like around here (SF South Bay) I've had to refill the windshield washer reservoir at least twice a year. And I don't use a funnel :) .

edit: Oh, and to keep the thread on topic.... going against factory recommendations, I've been using this for the last couple of months:

1658082876203.png

It does streak a little bit while the wipers are, well, wiping. But they go away in a few seconds as the onrushing air evaporates the fluid. I've not noticed the "beading" element as it's been forever since we had any rain. I figure that the +32F limitation isn't going to be a problem as I don't plan on driving anywhere that cold for the next several months. By that time I should be done with this gallon and probably going back to the standard blue (cheap) all-weather stuff.

Last edited:
Tesla is just like every other car on the road in regards to the fluid, you can use anything you'd like.

Indeed, anything from Costco or Walmart will work just fine.

Of course, if you have access to Unicorn tears, those would be the best!

I go for the cheap $2/gal bottles or even just throw water in it.

Water isn't great for at least two reasons:
- it doesn't dissolve or remove either insect geese or road grime
- it tends to freeze, and expand upon freezing (as water tends to do). And rupture washing fluid piping while so doing. So if you absolutely positively only have access to water, consider adding some alcohol to it to lower the freezing point. Or, better yet, just buy some off-the-shelf windshield washer liquid!

HTH,
a

- it tends to freeze, and expand upon freezing (as water tends to do). And rupture washing fluid piping while so doing. So if you absolutely positively only have access to water, consider adding some alcohol to it to lower the freezing point. Or, better yet, just buy some off-the-shelf windshield washer liquid!

HTH,
a
As stated by someone else. I'm in SW FL... freezing is a non-issue. That was simply a suggestion to show special Tesla juice isn't needed.

Hello everybody here. Hoping that you are having a great weekend, just wondering, where the Tesla M3, shows when the windshield wiper fluid is empty AND taking this opportunity, any recommended fluid for this purpose?

Tysm for answering my above questions. You all have a great Sunday.
I buy fluid made entirely from whale tears.

It’s not cheap, but it’s environmentally friendly.

Or you can use bat’s blood, especially if you have a red car. Mine is red.

Seems like around here (SF South Bay) I've had to refill the windshield washer reservoir at least twice a year. And I don't use a funnel :) .

edit: Oh, and to keep the thread on topic.... going against factory recommendations, I've been using this for the last couple of months:

View attachment 829531

It does streak a little bit while the wipers are, well, wiping. But they go away in a few seconds as the onrushing air evaporates the fluid. I've not noticed the "beading" element as it's been forever since we had any rain. I figure that the +32F limitation isn't going to be a problem as I don't plan on driving anywhere that cold for the next several months. By that time I should be done with this gallon and probably going back to the standard blue (cheap) all-weather stuff.
A 32-F limit is absolutely worthless. In about 75% of the US. That’s crazy.

Buy the blue stuff. $2-3 per gallon. This is one of the silliest discussions I’ve seen here. And there are plenty of silly ones!

HTH,
a
We have Canada Geese here, but none of them is insect-sized. Sounds a bit scary.

I use the generic blue stuff and add one of these;

I use used brake fluid from my track car. It is expensive and I change it out every year. The only downfall is that it strips your paint. ;)

In all seriousness I don't think there really is a difference between Tesla Windshield Washer fluid or other ones. I may be wrong though.

We just get the winter stuff from Walmart/O'Rileys/AutoZone when it goes on discount in the summertime...then get stuff just the opposite in the winter. Call us "hoarders" but with 5 vehicles (now down to 3 and back up to 4 when we finally get the Tesla). Its just something good to have on hand. Winter works just fine in the summer BUT summer does NOT work well where we live in Colorado at 7400'.

We go through gallons of cleaner. Just the nature of the beast with snow from October to sometimes the beginning of June.

This is one of the silliest discussions I’ve seen here. And there are plenty of silly ones!

(not moderator note. not representing TMC, TMC moderators, or even "jjrandorin the moderator". Post only represents "jjrandorin the regular poster")

At this point, I will take almost anything thats not:

1. "New model 3 owner here. I drove to the store thats 4 miles away and my car drained off 7 miles! I contacted tesla and they told me its normal. Its not normal right? How do I escalate this with tesla, they dont care!

2. "New model 3 owner here. I have been reading about battery charging, and although there are 100s of pages of posts, they dont quite cover what I want to ask. What percentage should I set my charging to?

2022m3awd - I have noticed that using the original Tesla wiper fluid did help the smoothness with which the wiper blades worked. Sometimes i noticed that the blades make “thud thud” noise and the wipers seem to vibrate while wiping. Splashing some of the wiper fluid reduced the noise and vibration. Wondering what brand Tesla used for the fluid.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
2022m3awd - I have noticed that using the original Tesla wiper fluid did help the smoothness with which the wiper blades worked. Sometimes i noticed that the blades make “thud thud” noise and the wipers seem to vibrate while wiping. Splashing some of the wiper fluid reduced the noise and vibration. Wondering what brand Tesla used for the fluid.
Did you ever find out what they use on delivery?