TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield wiper fluid broken?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by plasmo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

I'm in Chicago, and it's cold. I haven't really used the windshield wiper fluid until recently, and after pushing in the button (both light and deep), nothing happens other than move the windshield wipers across the dash.

I checked the fluid and topped it off, which was almost full.

Does anyone know if the wiper fluid channel gets frozen easily, or is this broken? Initially I thought it might be frozen, but I'm in a garage, and temperatures are not at freezing levels, so i'm thinking that something else is not working correctly.

Anyone have any tips or have similar issues? I don't want to make a service appointment if possible since the last time I did so, it took 2 months to finally get in.

2. alex454

alex454 Member

FWIW, I am taking my X in on Thursday for the second time related to the Washer Pump not working. I don't live where is regularly below freezing and I keep my X in the garage. I post the outcome after Thursday.

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Fluid comes out in 3-4 streams from the wiper blades. I've heard of issues where the hose is not connected properly and simply needs to be re-connected.

Not a big fan of the 3-4 streams. I prefer the nozzles spraying onto the windscreen, since it does a better job of distributing fluid than the 3-4 streams.

• Like x 1
  4. anthony

anthony Member

I'm in NH where it is cold(er?), never had a problem with frozen washer lines, I have added a bottle of anti freeze additive one year, but didn't the other 2 winters we've seen.

I just had my washer pump replaced.

5. Vizir

Vizir Member

mine had a similar issue. SC fixed it, said the lines were twisted and stopping the flow.

6. Stasla

Stasla Member

On mine the fluid only comes out the passenger side wiper. Should it come out of both?

7. Vizir

Vizir Member

8. Stasla

Stasla Member

Thanks! On the list it goes (for my next service visit) 1 side's been ok, not great, but manageable.

9. plasmo

plasmo Member

Went to SC today and got my water pump fixed on the spot. Just walked in without appointment.
    Fixed in 5 min. It was something simple obviously (wife brought the car and she didn't ask what was wrong)

• Informative x 1
  10. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

@vandacca I believe I read in one of the Alberta owners threads that it is just the subzero nozzles that jet, the non-heated nozzles apparently spray in more of a fan. Don't know anyone without subzero to test that claim though.