Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Fluid Mess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else spray their windows with the wipers and it dumps out a ton of fluid that goes all over the driver door window? Using the windshield sprayer is a huge mess and Tesla should figure it out. This is happening in my new 2022 MYP and also happened in my 2021 MYLR.

Anyone else spray their windows with the wipers and it dumps out a ton of fluid that goes all over the driver door window? Using the windshield sprayer is a huge mess and Tesla should figure it out. This is happening in my new 2022 MYP and also happened in my 2021 MYLR.
I do have the same problem (blue marks all over driver's side) wondering what I'm doing wrong. Will watch the thread for suggestions.

Makes me want to scream, oh wait I did! Mechanic told me it is what it is. But I am not okay with it. Especially when I pay $60 for a basic wash, park at work, marine layer mucks the windshield and I don't want to use these dang wipers. Mine literally covers the car, see pictures. Even the back of the trunk, entire driver side to back fender and side windows. You know this crap eats your paint and ceramic coating you just paid $1k for too! Gggrrrrrr
IMG_7571.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7532.jpg
    IMG_7532.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7534.jpg
    IMG_7534.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_7535.jpg
    IMG_7535.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 146
Mine does exactly the same. I started carrying foaming window cleaner and paper towels in my back side cubby.

I try to never use the windshield sprayers and just clean the windows when I stop.

Also, before I started doing this I learned if you do just one small squirt instead of multiple it wouldn’t go across my driver side window.

Reactions: Kupe
My model Y is almost a month old. I noticed the Tesla OEM washer fluid is the darkest blue fluid I’ve ever seen . It almost looks like some concentrated solution that wasn’t diluted properly. Even in my Midnight silver paint, it makes a mess. It’s like I’m washing my windshield with blue food coloring.

It helps to only wash the windshield while stationary so the wind doesn’t blow the water down the side of the car.

Very funny thread.

Exactly where do you EXPECT the windshield washer fluid to go? It has to go somewhere, doesn't it?

I really don't understand what the complaint is. On most cars, it goes up onto the roof. On the Tesla, the wipers push more of it to the sides of the car.

The fluid has to go somewhere, right?

...or, on other cars, the hood mounted sprayer vaporizes the fluid, and most of it ends up on the car behind you!

I think what we've learned is the design puts ALL of the fluid on the windshield, and the speed of the wiper slings it to the side. Slower wiper speed, slower auto speed would help minimize this.

My model Y is almost a month old. I noticed the Tesla OEM washer fluid is the darkest blue fluid I’ve ever seen . It almost looks like some concentrated solution that wasn’t diluted properly. Even in my Midnight silver paint, it makes a mess. It’s like I’m washing my windshield with blue food coloring.

It helps to only wash the windshield while stationary so the wind doesn’t blow the water down the side of the car.
I noticed when I picked up the car the windshield cap was open and not closed. When I finally used it, their was a dark blue fluid all over the car when i sprayed it and then I noticed I got washer fluid low already on 2 week car that I only used it once. So do they ship it with concentrate and they are suppose to top it up with water at the service center? Apparently they didn't add any washer fluid in mine since it's empty now.

I noticed when I picked up the car the windshield cap was open and not closed. When I finally used it, their was a dark blue fluid all over the car when i sprayed it and then I noticed I got washer fluid low already on 2 week car that I only used it once. So do they ship it with concentrate and they are suppose to top it up with water at the service center? Apparently they didn't add any washer fluid in mine since it's empty now.
This is a very interesting observation. I doubt it's true, but still, interesting.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I remembered reading somewhere here that Tesla delivers car with the washer bottom half full only.

Very funny thread.

Exactly where do you EXPECT the windshield washer fluid to go? It has to go somewhere, doesn't it?

I really don't understand what the complaint is. On most cars, it goes up onto the roof. On the Tesla, the wipers push more of it to the sides of the car.

Agreed - Tesla isn't unique in this. I've had the same thing happen on other cars.
What probably happened is the methanol evaporated leaving just some residual water with the blue dye.

I don't know what washer fluid Tesla uses but it sucks (at least the kind they use here in Cali). Part of the problem is California VOC regulations don't allow for the use of methanol, which generally improves the performance of the fluid (less streaking).

The second I used up all the OEM washer fluid I made my own - 1 quart pure methanol and 3 quarts distilled water with about 1/2 ounce of 20/10 Products washer fluid concentrate, with some pink dye added for color. My homebrew washer fluid, plus PIAA silicone wiper blades = perfection.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Very funny thread.

I have had 15 cars in my short life and have NEVER had this happen. I am very annal about clean window, so clearly would've noticed.

There was only enough washer fluid to get home and it was only 35 miles plus a week before it started saying fluid to low. Put in a gallon and a half. now 5 months later it wanted another gallon. I am using the wipers they same as I did on other cars and they usually went about a year and half. Didn't find any disconnected hoses. Yeah I can't have the windows open in the front of water will come in when the window cleaning cycle is activated.