TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield wiper issue in auto mode

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kaoru, Jul 24, 2018.

1. kaoru

kaoru Member

It seems my M3 windshield wipers work fine in manual mode. However when put into auto mode, they are very jerky, inconsistent with the swipe. It’s not the blades itself. Anyone notice this?

2. kaoru

kaoru Member

Here’s a video of the issue.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Interesting, I haven't experienced this with my Model 3. Definitely seems annoying though! I'm sure a software update could address this.

4. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

#4 Lasairfion, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Did you happen to put rain-x on your windshield? It looks like your windshield is hydrophobic. I did and had similar results to what you’re experiencing. It took a LOT of scrubbing to get it off. I tried isopropyl alcohol, magic erasers, clay bars and rain-x “extreme clean”. The latter two were most effective.

6. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

If you have RainX on you windows your wipers really aren't that important in my experience.

7. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

On the Model 3? I think the rake angle makes a big difference, and I really didn’t like the chattering and screeching when injust wanted a quick wipe. Disclaimer - Northern Virginia is like a Pollen-Apocalypse! YMMV....

8. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

I guess I'll find out this Fall. Right now, we wish there was rain here.

9. KFORE

KFORE Member

I had the exact same issue. I simply cleaned the wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth and it completely solved the issue for me.

Just put in your wipers into service mode, grab a MF cloth and some isopropyl alcohol, and you should be good to go.

10. kaoru

kaoru Member

Yes, my windows were treated with Ceramic Pro Rain coating but that irrelevant. If watch the video, using manual mode at any speed the wipers work smoothly. Only auto mode causes a problem. That means that the coating is NOT a problem.

11. kaoru

kaoru Member

True enough but on the Monday Ottawa broke a record in rainfall, 43 mm in a couple of hours. No amount of hydrophobic coating will bead that away...

12. kaoru

kaoru Member

Wipers smooth in manual mode, jerky in auto mode... it’s not the blades. It like the auto mode is sending signals (to wipe, increase/decrease speed, etc.) during a wipe causing the behaviour.

13. KFORE

KFORE Member

Yeah, I had the same issue. I think auto mode uses less power or something, so anything that causes too much friction causes stutter? I don't know. All I know is, after I thoroughly cleaned the blades, the stutter immediately disappeared.

14. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

This 100% worked for me. Thank you for the suggestion!