Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper issues (modes and settings)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla tech told me that if you turn off the wipers then they wont wipe when you first sit down.... I haven't tried it yet and it kindof defeats the purpose of "automatic".... he agreed with me on that.

Living in Canada, I have gotten into the habit of always making sure my wipers are parked and off (even on my cars with Auto settings). If they freeze to the glass and come on, that can be very bad. This is not going to be a big deal for me.

Living in Canada, I have gotten into the habit of always making sure my wipers are parked and off (even on my cars with Auto settings). If they freeze to the glass and come on, that can be very bad. This is not going to be a big deal for me.

Modern cars shouldn't have problems with stuck wipers, at least none of mine have ever broken any wipers from them not being able to move. My Leafs wipers wouldn't move today because of frozen snow. I cleared the snow and tried again, no problem. I suspect it detects stuck wipers like the door window motor controller detects objects/limbs/whatever in the way and turns off the wiper motor again.

Modern cars shouldn't have problems with stuck wipers, at least none of mine have ever broken any wipers from them not being able to move.

Hopefully so. My bad experiences go back to cars from the '60s and '70s and that is where and when I developed the habit. I've had from burned out motors (worse case) to blown fuses (best case) on those old cars from frozen stuck wipers trying to move. I think I'll continue with my habit of clearing and freeing the wipers before I try to turn them on, just to be safe.

Hopefully so. My bad experiences go back to cars from the '60s and '70s and that is where and when I developed the habit. I've had from burned out motors (worse case) to blown fuses (best case) on those old cars from frozen stuck wipers trying to move. I think I'll continue with my habit of clearing and freeing the wipers before I try to turn them on, just to be safe.

Even if the motor doesn't burn out these days and the knurling doesn't strip, the rubber can still be torn or pulled out of its track. The usual effect is a nice scratch on your windshield. I'd say it's a good habit to keep.

The Tesla tech told me that if you turn off the wipers then they wont wipe when you first sit down.... I haven't tried it yet and it kindof defeats the purpose of "automatic".... he agreed with me on that.
Ironically, one of the few mechanical inputs in the vehicle cabin suffers a problem related to being mechnical: it can't automatically shift the setting from 1 to 0 when the vehicle is turned off.

I got a call yesterday from Tesla Service Center in Tampa; they said there was an update on the rain sensor and they could come to my house and replace it at my convienience. Seems like Tesla is listening to us and wants us happy.

Gary

Any updates on this rain sensor? Has anyone/everyone gotten this? If so, are cars coming off the line with this new sensor? Does it work?

Got my first experience of the "auto-swipe with door open today". Twice. Very annoying, not sure why this isn't fixed yet. Hopefully in 4.3.

I noticed increased sensitivity of the two auto modes with 4.2 (no hardware change, just the sw update). Almost right but still not dialed in.

Also I spoke with ownership today and specifically asked that they submit a bug report about the auto-swipe with door open. The person I spoke with groaned and said "is that STILL happening?". Then he said he'd send an email to an engineer who he knew was working on this feature. He agreed it should never auto wipe with a door open!

Maybe the "final" 4.3 will have this fix? Wishful thinking....

I also experience the single wipe on start up...I've had the car for less than 2 week and wasn't sure if it was a glitch or planned action. I'm guessing from you post a glitch. I was thinking of turning of the auto-mode for the wipers to see if that stops it- have you tried that?

yes with the wipers off (not in auto1 or auto2) there is no wiping. Of course the issue is driving in an auto mode but no rain, parking car, it rains, then getting splashed when entering car next time.

In fact I verified this morning that the single wipe happens even if the windshield is 99% dry, just a few drops that had not full dried in my garage overnight gave me the morning surprise.

I also experience the single wipe on start up...I've had the car for less than 2 week and wasn't sure if it was a glitch or planned action. I'm guessing from you post a glitch. I was thinking of turning of the auto-mode for the wipers to see if that stops it- have you tried that?

Got my first experience of the "auto-swipe with door open today". Twice. Very annoying, not sure why this isn't fixed yet. Hopefully in 4.3.

Funny, it took me three months, but I just had my first experience with that today. I got in and suddenly the wipers fired a bucket load of snow into the car! Just had to chuckle... and brush all the snow off me and the door arm rest.

Any word on that rain sensor replacement? Did it fix anything?

It's been raining here for the past few days and I've had a good chance to test the auto-sensing wipers. So far they are a complete joke, requiring me to put it on the standard slow or fast setting. I'd rather have manual intermittent wiper control than what I have now.