Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper issues (modes and settings)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not understand what kevincwelch is trying to show with the link to the video.
What am I missing?

As for me, the rain-sensing wipers seem OK, but imperfect, very similar in fact to the performance of those on my previous Mercedes. Sometimes OK, sometimes too little, sometimes (less often) too much. But overall a minor issue for me, so far anyway.

My main concern is not with the wipers but with the washer jets. They are crap, IMO. Why not spray in a semi arc shape across the whole windshield like so many other cars do? Much more effective. Especially when trying to clean all the slushy salty water during winter time...

Firmware 7.0 2.9.68 which my SC installed last month, states in the release notes "the auto windshield-wiping logic has been improved".

I've been pleased with the more accurate intermittent wiper handling of water volume changes against the windshield, especially as the drizzle is slowing down. I also don't remember the wiper speed going temporarily nuts like it used to, as I've driven around in the last few days of rain we've finally had here in SoCal. I do though, still have chatter on the lower driver-side blade even after a physical adjustment by the SC (I believe that requires Tesla prioritizing Engineering specifying a new blade that is more rigid like my former Lexus SUV had).

Firmware 7.0 2.9.68 which my SC installed last month, states in the release notes "the auto windshield-wiping logic has been improved".

I've been pleased with the more accurate intermittent wiper handling of water volume changes against the windshield, especially as the drizzle is slowing down. I also don't remember the wiper speed going temporarily nuts like it used to, as I've driven around in the last few days of rain we've finally had here in SoCal. I do though, still have chatter on the lower driver-side blade even after a physical adjustment by the SC (I believe that requires Tesla prioritizing Engineering specifying a new blade that is more rigid like my former Lexus SUV had).

Pick up a pair of Bosch Icon blades (instead of some other kind of Bosch blade that your car almost certainly came with) and you will solve your chatter problem. Lots of discussion here in various threads about the Bosch Icons, but here's a good staring point:

Wiper blade options for Model S - Page 6

Pick up a pair of Bosch Icon blades (instead of some other kind of Bosch blade that your car almost certainly came with) and you will solve your chatter problem. Lots of discussion here in various threads about the Bosch Icons, but here's a good staring point:

Thanks, yes, found that thread a few days ago when it was resurrected. I'm sometimes challenged keeping track of the multiple converging threads around here.

On the wipers, for right now as a new owner, I'm being a bit stubborn since Tesla should fix this and I have 8-years of prepaid service. I would really like to not throw in the towel so soon because Tesla won't prioritize re-spec-ing different blades for an old acknowledged problem. If it starts to bug me too much, I know to get some Icons. Thx.

I'm on my third set of the Bosch Icons. They all have streaked from brand new, so I'm not super impressed. I have to think my windshield is the problem, because everyone seems to love them.