TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

windshield wiper seems to stop short

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MGMDaware, Aug 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

Just took delivery a few days ago. I had a dirty windshield so I used the washer/wipers. The driver side wiper seems to stop short on the up swing, leaving the edge of "wiped" water/dirt somewhat in my visual field. Just wanted to check if this was a normal Model S experience. Thanks!

-MG

2. Fusion

Fusion Member

Picture would help.

3. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

Fair enough. The pic shows where the wiper stops on the up swing. There is some serious windshield real estate to my left that doesn't get touched/wiped. IMG_20160815_175822.jpg

4. docherf

docherf Member

#4 docherf, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    That looks the same as my MS. It never bothered me, but now it will - thanks .

The wipers do seem weak /flimsy to me. They chatter. Other cars I drive (BMW, MB , Honda, Infiniti) all seem to have better engineered wipers.

• Funny x 1
  5. Larry

Larry Member

]Just took delivery a few days ago. I had a dirty windshield so I used the washer/wipers. The driver side wiper seems to stop short on the up swing, leaving the edge of "wiped" water/dirt somewhat in my visual field. Just wanted to check if this was a normal Model S experience. Thanks!

My biggest peeve with the car. First S was like this and I pointed it out to Fremont service and they said nothing can be done. I was hoping when I got my next S this would be gone but nope, same exact as the first.

• Informative x 1
  6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

"Stopping short is my move!" - Frank Costanza.

• Like x 1
  7. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

Ok. I appreciate the responses. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Looks about normal. But I do find that the more liquid on the screen, the farther it wipes. When I put mine on high, they sweep all the way to the edge of the screen. I can see that part of the issue is the flex of the blade. It tends to flex farther than the plane of the wiper arm when on high. So I assume that they designed it to stop at a certain point in order to avoid the blade wiping all the way on to the A-pillar.

I have gotten used to it...kind of. It is a big blurry spot, which makes seeing cross traffic more difficult, along with the very wide A-pillar.

• Informative x 1
  9. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Member

Intersting. I will test that out. I'm already getting used to it. Thank you though