Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am trying to figure out if I have a problem or if this is normal. When I put the wipers on the first delay setting with the far spaced dots, it hardly ever activates. Only when my windshield is almost completely covered with rain will it activate once and then just sits there until almost no visibility again. When I move to the second setting which is the closer spaced dots you would think it would be more sensitive. NO! Its slightly better but does not activate until almost no visibility . Am I missing a setting somewhere or do you fellow owners have the same issue?

I agree, the "rain-sensing" wipers are not very good at detecting when to start. I have my "default" position set to the location before manual and switch to manual when I feel I need it. I have found that it sometimes stays on too long when in this default setting, so I sometimes have to go to a lower setting (dots spaced further apart) by rotating towards driver.

It doesn't rain much here in CO, but mine seem to work fine. If it's a really light drizzle (you don't get those in FL), then it'll take a while before the wipers activate, but they still do. When it's actually raining here (equivalent to a light drizzle in FL), they work just like normal wipers. Maybe try testing it with a hose.

Seattle area driver here as well (e.g. lots of experience with rain.) Have had all the same problems, but it's no worse than my BMW X5. Almost identical behavior. I use the single push of the button on the end of the stalk quite a bit in light rain. Seems to work more reliably when raining harder.

Yes, verrrry slow to ramp up the wipers even on second sensitivity. I find myself manually triggering it all the time if not on constant wipe. The problem (in my unscientific experience) seems to be that it just takes a very long time to notice the rain level. Almost as though the "rain amount" calculation is using too long of a time window. It does eventually seem to get there, but not before it's difficult to see.

Also a Seattle driver, West Seattle. Hi PGeer :)

When I move to the second setting which is the closer spaced dots you would think it would be more sensitive. NO! Its slightly better but does not activate until almost no visibility . Am I missing a setting somewhere or do you fellow owners have the same issue?
This actually worked for me and was 1000x better than the first setting, which I THOUGHT would have been the more sensitive one.

My windshield was treated with Opticoat and not sure if that makes it streak less or not, but it does not seem to be as bad as many reports I have seen posted on the wipers.

I wish that one of the two manual settings had an intermittent wipe ability. Maybe a software setting to allow for a delay between wipes. I don't find either of the 2 automatic settings work well enough (or consistently enough).