TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield Wiper Settings

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Hitman007, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

So I am trying to figure out if I have a problem or if this is normal. When I put the wipers on the first delay setting with the far spaced dots, it hardly ever activates. Only when my windshield is almost completely covered with rain will it activate once and then just sits there until almost no visibility again. When I move to the second setting which is the closer spaced dots you would think it would be more sensitive. NO! Its slightly better but does not activate until almost no visibility . Am I missing a setting somewhere or do you fellow owners have the same issue?

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I agree, the "rain-sensing" wipers are not very good at detecting when to start. I have my "default" position set to the location before manual and switch to manual when I feel I need it. I have found that it sometimes stays on too long when in this default setting, so I sometimes have to go to a lower setting (dots spaced further apart) by rotating towards driver.

3. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

It doesn't rain much here in CO, but mine seem to work fine. If it's a really light drizzle (you don't get those in FL), then it'll take a while before the wipers activate, but they still do. When it's actually raining here (equivalent to a light drizzle in FL), they work just like normal wipers. Maybe try testing it with a hose.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I've only had it in a couple rainstorms so far, but I tend to agree - I wish I had a setting more sensitive than the more sensitive of the two.

At one point in intermittent light rain, I took to tapping the end button to induce single swipes.

• Like x 1
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Agreed. The wipers seem to be somewhat sluggish especially compared to other high-end vehicles that I suspect we've all owned. The good news is this would be an easy fix if addressed by Tesla.

• Like x 1
  6. earlyretirement

earlyretirement Model X 90D

I totally agree. It rained for the first time in MONTHS here in San Diego the other day and I thought the wipers sensor wise sucked. I could never find a setting that worked. It either waited way too long or went way too fast.

7. electricity

electricity Member

Wiper sensors kinda suck on the X , one of the only few things that they didn't get right.

8. Wynn

Wynn Member

The rain sensing wipers are awful. Sometimes they won't even trigger until the windshield is completely obscured. Sometimes they kick into high gear with a slight drizzle of rain. Totally unreliable.