Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Visibility Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have trouble with the windshield wipers in light rain? The first pass it clears the rain but when the wipers return it smears it so it is really hard to see at night. I searched and saw that it was an issue with the model S and those users switched to Bosch wipers. If it is just me, then I will ask SC to take a look.

Anyone have trouble with the windshield wipers in light rain? The first pass it clears the rain but when the wipers return it smears it so it is really hard to see at night. I searched and saw that it was an issue with the model S and those users switched to Bosch wipers. If it is just me, then I will ask SC to take a look.

I'd say just get better wipers. Agree that high end Bosch work well (put those on my previous S also). About $40-50 probably.

I have the exact same issue. First rain since ownership was borderline dangerous. I cleaned the wiper blades throughly, it seems to be better but haven't had rain since. I will probably see what my SC says before buying the Bosch as the car is just too new to need new blades so quickly...

I drove my X through blinding rain in Hurricane Matthew this past weekend without any issues other than it raining so hard I couldn't see the end of the hood at some times, but that's hardly the fault of the wipers! I do agree though that the wipers do seem rather cheap and I will probably end up going the replacement route.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andrewf
i always get new blades whenever i buy a new vehicle. the OEM blades are typically cheaper and Bosch has always been my go to choice.

no issues though with my factory blades through light or hard rain. still upgrading them regardless

I thought I was the only one with that problem. I'm so frustrated driving in the rain and it's an extreme hazard for me. I was planning on bringing my X in for this exact reason even tho I have a laundry list of other cosmetic and noise problems to still deal with.

Where can I buy Bosch wiper blades and what size or model part number do I get?

Same experience with ours. We live in the Pacific Northwest and the recent heavy rains have really exacerbated this issue. It smears on the way down, somehow always right in the center of my vision! I would happily replace the blades but this doesn't seem to be an option - the blades have integrated fluid nozzles and they are either completely custom or no one is bothering to sell replacements.

I talked with my SC (which replaced the blades once to no effect) and they confirmed that the "stock" blades are the only option. Not sure what to do from here - it'll be a long 8 months of rain I guess :)

Same problem here. They have been looked at twice and replaced once by the SC, but the downward smear still exist. Right in my field of vision! Worried for the cold winter days, where that little patch will just freeze over every time I clean the salt residue off the windscreen with the wiper fluid ;(.

I had my first opportunity to drive in the rain since spring and the wipers worked flawlessly. It started out as a very light mist and the wipers would swipe occasionally as the water built up, soon enough that I could still see, but not so often to jump or streak. As the rain increased the rate of the wipers also increased. Never saw a problem.

I had my first opportunity to drive in the rain since spring and the wipers worked flawlessly. It started out as a very light mist and the wipers would swipe occasionally as the water built up, soon enough that I could still see, but not so often to jump or streak. As the rain increased the rate of the wipers also increased. Never saw a problem.
Me too, all working fine and it rained today on me. Rain sensor repeatability I'm not sure about, but it does activate on it's own while knob is engaged.

It rained the weekend I had my Model X extended test drive. I put Rain X on the windshield (as I do on all my cars) and it made a huge difference. The biggest benefit of Rain X is not that you don't have to run the wipers as much, it's that the water beads into a tight pattern rather than spreading around over the whole surface. I often don't even run windshield wipers on my cars because anything above 45 miles an hour clears the windshield constantly.

Rain X on a Model X windshield is also incredibly cool. It feels like you're starting warp speed as all the water beads stream away around you.

Reactions: TOBASH
Do you work for Rain X?
Ha. No. Just used it for a long time on all my cars. The Model X I got for the extended test drive had a very smeary windshield when it rained, to the point of being dangerous IMO. So I treated the windshield before we went out for the evening and the difference was significant. I don't care if people use Rain X or Aquapel or whatever else is out there. The improvement in safety is real. We're entering rainy season here in NorCal just now. Reading these complaints and people's plans to take their cars to the service center to address poor visibility just motivated me to suggest a cheap and readily available solution.

Reactions: Mjølner
For RainX and similars, I would prefer a longer surviving solution, there are some brands applied in stores, stays on the glass for, like six months. Are these products helpful? Definitely. Water drops over certain size immediately and quickly falls down. It also adds to viper life, since friction is a lot less. Good for side mirrors, too.

And for vipers, just replaced mine (non-tesla) with Bosch last week. It seems guys at Bosch, work on these pieces for a while. They are perfect, no noise, nothing. Yes, they are a bit expensive, but worths.