Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers and de-icing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever tried a de-icing solution/spray? I wonder if using this every now and again would be safe for the vehicle's paint, etc. I have no experience with such sprays, as I have always left my wipers erect or been able to park under a roof.

4 mm of ice will just laugh at the de-icing sprays. You'll need about 200 litres.

Even in Texas when there is an ice day there will be ~4mm of ice coating the car. It's really hard to chip this off the wipers--even when they are easy to get at. I don't see any solution other than a car cover. My concern is that the ice coating will destroy the car cover when you attempt to remove the cover from the car making it kind of an expensive day. Anyone have any experience with this?

When there's an ice day in Texas, I'm not taking my Model S on the road, many drivers in Texas can barely drive in the rain, yet alone ice or snow. Way too risky :)

Back in the UK, if there was ice on the screen, the most effective way of releasing the wipers (aside from a kettle of hot water - yikes!) was to run the car with the internal screen vents on full tilt. I assume that at some point in the very near future this will be an option from the mobile app, so, maybe this won't be such a big deal then?

Growing up in Ontario, Manitoba, and Alberta, I have experienced many forms of Canadian winter. Granted I never had a car this expensive, but they were all expensive to me at the time, and my solution to ice on the windscreen was always a damn good scraper (or failing that, a CD case). Second to that was turning the car on and leave it running for 30 minutes :)

The point of view of a native Swede, living in Norway: unprepared: front window hot air at full effect for a few mins while you scraping the windshield manually. Prepared/planning ahead: program diesel warmer to have the car worm and de-iced in the morning. Model S: turn on pre-heating and de-icing from phone as needed, while drinking morning cofee :)

When it snows in DC and there's ice on my car, I pour cold water onto the car to melt the ice.

Growing up in Tampa it froze one day (very rare occurrence) and there was moderate frost on the windshield of my car. I was dumbfounded about how to get rid of it, as all my outdoor ice experience was from 2 ski trips, or ice cubes from the freezer. So after trying to wipe it off unsuccessfully by hand and windshield wiper I got the cold water solution in my head. I went inside and filled a pitcher with water. Went outside and poured it all over. Worked like a charm clean and clear windshield. I went back inside to put the pitcher away only to come back and see that most of the new water was now frozen in a sheet. Well it took a phone call to my dad to understand that I just needed to turn the heat on in the car and wait 20 minutes.

Needless to say I was almost an hour late to school that day. Now I carry an industrial grade scraper with me during the winter months, even in Atlanta.

Right, the sequence is:
  1. Get into car (this can be a challenge depending on whether the door seals have iced over -- I have crawled in through the hatch of my A3 at least twice.
  2. Start car and get heat/defrost pumping at maximum.
  3. Remove loose snow/ice mechanically.
  4. Pour cool water on remaining windshield ice. (By now, the cabin temp should be high enough to keep the water from re-freezing, at least in New England. If you live in Manitoba, more extreme measures may be needed!)
Car cover is simpler, but you'll want to find a waterproof stuff-sack for it.

Right, the sequence is:
  1. Get into car (this can be a challenge depending on whether the door seals have iced over -- I have crawled in through the hatch of my A3 at least twice.
  4. Pour cool water on remaining windshield ice. (By now, the cabin temp should be high enough to keep the water from re-freezing, at least in New England. If you live in Manitoba, more extreme measures may be needed!)

Isn't Tesla suppose to release an app that will allow cabin pre-conditioning? This should allow us to set the defroster on full blast at the comfort of our home or office, avoiding the need to do the above.
Set and forget. Go to the car 15 minutes later and the snow/ice should be mostly gone. Even, if it is not all gone, it should be "soft" enough to be removed easily. No need to pour cold water. Not even a need for a car cover.

I like to get the loose snow off the car before it warms up -- it's much easier to brush light, fluffy snow off a car than soggy, wet snow. But, yes, in practice, I think we'll just crank up the heat on the Model S and solve these problems. Another way Tesla will make my life better!

IF ice = I don't go out.

Nice thought, but I would be trapped in my house for months.

- - - Updated - - -

I like to get the loose snow off the car before it warms up -- it's much easier to brush light, fluffy snow off a car than soggy, wet snow. But, yes, in practice, I think we'll just crank up the heat on the Model S and solve these problems. Another way Tesla will make my life better!

"Loose snow" assumes it's dry. We get all kinds of weather here. Sometimes the snow is loose and dry, sometimes it's wet and soggy. Sometimes the winds are howling; other times snow wafts down gently. And then there's freezing rain, which can coat your car in a thick layer of hard ice - on occasion I've had significant difficulty even getting into the car to get at my scraper.

Yes, heating up the car should work as long as the wipers themselves get some heat. The remote app will be a wonderful tool for that.

Be warned, though, if you blow hot air at full power against a cold windshield covered with ice you may have some risk of breaking the glass. I know someone that happened to.

Right, the sequence is:

Well, since you mentioned Manitoba, I'll add my 2 cents. Thankfully we don't have much freezing rain here, but if a car is left outside from basically October to April your windshield will be frosted or covered in snow. The best thing is to park in a garage, but if you can't and it's going to be a rush in the morning, park facing East (the sun is a great defroster, although if you leave before the sun rises it obviously doesn't help). If it's cloudy, when I turn the car on 15 min's early I do a quick scrape with our deluxe scrapers, but avoid water. If I don't have time to fully warm up and it frosts up while driving, I simply spray winter windshield wiper fluid on, as it has antifreeze in it (it's supposed to be fine for paint).

I was assuming that the S's instant heat would be an advantage, but it might be beneficial for a defrosting routine that would "ramp up" the heat slowly for the air blowing on glass (don't we all love that term :wink:)

Last edited:
I don't understand this whole pouring water on the windows thing. Here in Ottawa that most likely would result in thicker ice on your windshield...

Coming most recently from Baltimore and Philadelphia, pouring water on the wipers did momentarily melt enough ice to get things moving. When I first moved to Chicago and tried that, the situation (as you pointed out) got worse. Never again. I have a small chisel and mallet now if needed.

I don't understand this whole pouring water on the windows thing. Here in Ottawa that most likely would result in thicker ice on your windshield...
Depends critically on the ambient temperature. Here on the Atlantic coast, we tend to stay pretty warm relatively to inland points, such as Ottawa and Manitoba! The water trick works great if it's only a few degrees below freezing.