TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Windshield wipers and rear seatbelt sensor (newbie)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rbcnr, Apr 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

Just got a new MS 60D. Noticed the drivers side windshield washer stops "wiping" about 4 inches before the left edge of the windshield (unlike most cars which leave about an inch). Is this the same on everyone's MS or should I get it checked out?

Also, anyone notice that the car keeps saying (alert) a buckled in person in the backseat does not have their seatbelt on when the car hits a tiny bump (sensor problem)?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Chavo60

Chavo60 Member

My S with rear seatbelt sensors haven't malfunctioned. I would get it checked out. I haven't really payed attention to where the wipers stop but I'm guessing they stop where they should since I'm not noticing it.

3. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

Thanks a lot. Any other feedback regarding the wiper will be appreciated

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

Your wiper sweep range seems about right for the driver's side. It does not get any closer to the A pillar than about 4".

A bit unclear what you mean. Is the belt fastened at the latch or not? Is there a person in that seat?

5. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

4 inches seems a lot compared to every other car I have driven. Interesting.

Sorry, yes a person was sitting in the backseat with the seatbelt on. Car kept showing alert to fasten seatbelt.

6. thxphil

thxphil New Member

FWIW I am new to Model S ownership and noticed the driver side wiper stops 4" short of the pilar. It annoys me.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Mirlen

Mirlen Member

Regarding rear seat seatbelt, I run into this a lot with co-workers who don't plug into the right seatbelt socket. They don't appear to be keyed to prevent this.

8. Mirlen

Mirlen Member

Also I think I've seen it happen if they lean on another seating position with their hand...

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yes, the wiper on slow or intermittent leaves too much space. But on high it sweeps all the way to edge at the top of the wiper. I think the design of the continuous spring wiper causes this. It flexes a huge amount when on high due to momentum and having no armature to support it. If it wiped all the way to the edge on slow as currently designed, it would go right past the edge of the glass on high. That I would not want. I have gotten used to it. But it still bugs me a bit.

I didn't have this issue on my Volvos or Acuras with this type of blade. I wonder if the arm is not stiff enough, which allows for the over swing on high, or if it is the blade. Mine seem to flex much more at the top of the blade than at the bottom, which tells me it is a geometric problem with the blade.

I guess???

Aside from that, I am very pleased with the blades. They wipe very cleanly almost all the time.

10. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

Interesting observation. I went to the Sc today n tried to replicate but couldn't . This was probably what my friend did. Thx!! Will try to f/u

11. Rbcnr

Rbcnr Member

Will check the movement on the highest speed. Went to Sc today n tech said mine leaves a lot of room and they will adjust when I leave it with them (few other minor things they need to fix - rattles etc). Thx everyone

12. scottm

scottm Active Member

It rained yesterday and I too noticed that on high-beam wiper speed, while driving at higher speeds (or in wind).. that wipers do get much closer to the A pillar on driver's side. So stopping short on slow speeds is by design, to prevent over-wiping the A pillar itself when things get more active in the rain department.

Maybe more noticeable on Model S than compared with other cars because it's a really long wiper on the driver's side. And there's a lot of flex in that beam.

• Informative x 1