Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers are horrible, and arguably dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So slightly different complaint/concern about the wipers: I'm not certain if one of my wiper nozzles is plugged. For the last month or two (noticed it during a bad snow storm) the proximal 1-2 inches of the driver's side blade does not wipe, but instead smudges the windshield. When it rains, it works fine and wipes that area clean. When I try and clean the windshield with fluid, that area just gets smudged. The right/passenger blade seems to have lots of fluid on it; the driver's one does not. Is this normal? I took it to the SC for multiple fixes, and seems like only a few things were fixed and others (including this one) ignored. Anyone having a similar experience?

I had a loaner Model S for the past 10 days and the auto wipers worked quite a bit better than my Model 3. I am wondering if the S also work via cameras like the 3 or if the S has actual sensors. Just got my M3 back yesterday, and will be interested to note if I see a difference after the last software release.
Got my chance to test out any effects from the last software release. Last night was driving on I95 and it started raining. Unfortunately the auto wiper was worse. There was full blown rain where you could not see and it still took several more seconds before it would activate. Then I noticed predictively that if it was a section of road that had bright lighting, it worked a lot better. Before I had not paid attention to day or night time effectiveness, but it seems there is definitely an issue with the auto wipers being much less effective in darker conditions. Which ironically, if it is raining, it is likely to be darker. I will report this as an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Got my chance to test out any effects from the last software release. Last night was driving on I95 and it started raining. Unfortunately the auto wiper was worse. There was full blown rain where you could not see and it still took several more seconds before it would activate. Then I noticed predictively that if it was a section of road that had bright lighting, it worked a lot better. Before I had not paid attention to day or night time effectiveness, but it seems there is definitely an issue with the auto wipers being much less effective in darker conditions. Which ironically, if it is raining, it is likely to be darker. I will report this as an issue.

The lack of self-illumination seems to be a persistent problem. Real rain sensors shine infra-red light that reflects off the rain drops, but Tesla's system has to rely on seeing rain against the background.

The lack of self-illumination seems to be a persistent problem. Real rain sensors shine infra-red light that reflects off the rain drops, but Tesla's system has to rely on seeing rain against the background.

It’s pretty funny when you park in front of one of those stucco walls that are kind of pebbly. I was sitting in my car at my local library when my wipers went nuts, lmao. I’m guessing it saw the little pebbled texture of the wall as rain drops. It hasn’t done it the last couple of updates, but it was hilarious when it happened.

Chatter is usually because they are not balanced properly. The pressure has to be balanced evenly along the blade. On most cars you can adjust them manually with a bolt, or get someone to do it for you.

Auto wipers requires a sensitivity setting which allows the user to set it. Not sure why Tesla has yet to add it. I even sent them an email when I was beta testing this feature. It would allow user to set their desired auto sensitivity and conditions. Too many factors that auto wiper in general can't comprehend.

Auto wipers requires a sensitivity setting which allows the user to set it. Not sure why Tesla has yet to add it.
Probably because they haven't figured out how to do it with their camera-based method of rain detection. From what their AI lead said they had trouble getting it to work at all. Fortunately the rain season now seems to be over here in CA. :p

• Informative
The auto wipers on my car are essentially useless. They don't turn on until the windshield is completely covered in rain to the point that you can't see anything. So just use the manual wipers, right? Well there's no control. You have to fish around on the touch screen to find the setting.

Crappy auto-mode + terrible ergonomics on manual mode = seriously unfortunate combination.

Has anyone tried working with service to get their auto-wiper functionality working better? Or do they tell you there's nothing that can be done?

I love the car, but the wipers are garbage, making it annoying driving this car in the rain.
Totally agree.

Additional notes to what's already been mentioned: Half-press on the left stalk button will turn on the wipers for one sweep. It should also highlight the wiper controls on the screen so you can adjust/change speed setting. Full press on the left stalk button will activate the windshield washer. It might take a couple of times to figure out just how hard/much to push the button but then it's easily duplicated when needed.

I found that when going from software 2018.28.1 to 2018.50.6 the wipers got more sensitive to the amount of rain on the glass. If you are running old software that might explain it.
Sorry. My Model S is 10 days old. This auto wiper problem is a really cheesy one.

Forgive me if this was mentioned in the thread but my wiper blade function got really confused. Let me explain what happened. The rain today was hard, then light, back and forth for about 15 minutes. I went from using the left stalk to turn on the wipers to the touchscreen’s intermittent settings.

After doing this for a bit, the wipers seemed to take on a life of its own. Turned it off on the screen (double-checked it was off) and didn’t press the stalk again and it kept wiping the windshield intermittently. I ended up restarting the touchscreen and that fixed it. Perhaps the lesson in this is to use one or the other to control the wipers but not both. Anyone else experience this or am I the first??