Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers are horrible, and arguably dangerous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The auto wipers on my car are essentially useless. They don't turn on until the windshield is completely covered in rain to the point that you can't see anything. So just use the manual wipers, right? Well there's no control. You have to fish around on the touch screen to find the setting.

Crappy auto-mode + terrible ergonomics on manual mode = seriously unfortunate combination.

Has anyone tried working with service to get their auto-wiper functionality working better? Or do they tell you there's nothing that can be done?

I love the car, but the wipers are garbage, making it annoying driving this car in the rain.
2019 model 3, no problem with wipers, just get used to their operation

In my case, they seem to work ok sometimes, but then just freak out and go to 100% at others. Especially in the snow. Mild to moderate snow seems to make them go to full speed.

I think it's just another case of them thinking they can get by using ML for everything, where in this case, there is existing tech that solves the problem better and simpler. Similar to the blind spot monitoring.

I think it's just another case of them thinking they can get by using ML for everything, where in this case, there is existing tech that solves the problem better and simpler. Similar to the blind spot monitoring.
Agreed, camera space is only a small part of the windshield so it can probably never become perfect.
I think "ML for everything" is part of the self-driving strategy. Their long-term goal is that the car will drive itself, so if the camera can see everything should be a-ok.

Since rain and ambient conditions are dynamic, and each Tesla driver has their personal preference to “when” they want their auto-sensors to wipe, this feature would be so effective if each time a driver presses the stalk button during auto-mode during a light or moderate shower condition, the MCU unit “recalibrated” its sensors to “match” the driver’s wipe request level. Kind of like a fuzzy logic almost AI function.
Tesla engineers.... are you getting me? YOU can take credit for this Tesla software engineering challenge safety & customer satisfaction solution.....

I’ll look for this hack in a near future OTA update please,

Since rain and ambient conditions are dynamic, and each Tesla driver has their personal preference to “when” they want their auto-sensors to wipe, this feature would be so effective if each time a driver presses the stalk button during auto-mode during a light or moderate shower condition, the MCU unit “recalibrated” its sensors to “match” the driver’s wipe request level. Kind of like a fuzzy logic almost AI function.
Tesla engineers.... are you getting me? YOU can take credit for this Tesla software engineering challenge safety & customer satisfaction solution.....

My wipers are the worst they've ever been in 2+ years and I keep thinking about this exact solution. But then I thought what about all the times you press it a couple times repeatedly for wiping dead bugs etc - how the MCU or whatever wouldn't know what needed to be included in calibration. Then I thought the best would be a setting just like NOA lane changes. I would prefer my wipers Mad Max style.

I’m not sure neural nets work that way. They are trained at the mothership and the result is loaded on the vehicle. They supposedly can monitor when you manually change the settings to get a better idea of how preferred wiper speed matches certain video characteristics, but the results have to entered into the training process with a new NN then loaded on the vehicle.

Reactions: Toysla
I’m not sure neural nets work that way. They are trained at the mothership and the result is loaded on the vehicle. They supposedly can monitor when you manually change the settings to get a better idea of how preferred wiper speed matches certain video characteristics, but the results have to entered into the training process with a new NN then loaded on the vehicle.
That makes sense. Thank you for the insight education