Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers button do not work in long trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you noticed an issue when windshield wipers button do not work in long trips?

This usually happens in 8-12 hours of driving in rain. Because the Auto setting never works fast enough, I have to press on the windshield wipers button manually. And sometimes, it stops working for 1-3 minutes. When it doesn't work, there is no vibrational feedback to the finger.

Tesla replaced the whole yoke, but this didn't resolve the issue. Could it be something in software?

I am experiencing this issue with the right turn signal button. It randomly stops working with no feedback when pressing.
I’ve only had my car for a couple of days so this is extremely frustrating. It’s hard enough to get used to the new interface, last thing I need is for it to not work as expected.

The windshield wipers are too slow on the Auto setting. The service center said that the Auto setting is in BETA and therefore isn't expected to function property. While this is the case, I have to command the wipers to clean the windshield manually every few minutes during the trip when they're too slow.

Every long trip, the windshield wipers button doesn't respond on press after 8-12 hours of driving. There is no touch feedback. No wiper movement (besides the one initiated by the Auto setting). This is happening for a few minutes. Probably, until another button on the yoke is pressed.

Went to a service center in Santa Clara, CA. After a long debate, the service manager approved a yoke replacement. But the issue reproduced right during the next long trip!

Next time, I went to a service center in Fife, WA. They showed a genuine interest in the issue. But eventually returned the car with: "Could not duplicate concern. Every yoke button works as expected." Of course, the couldn't. They didn't use it for 8 hours.

What do you recommend to do next? What can we do when there is no logic in the actions and response of the service center whatsoever?

The windshield wipers are too slow on the Auto setting. The service center said that the Auto setting is in BETA and therefore isn't expected to function property. While this is the case, I have to command the wipers to clean the windshield manually every few minutes during the trip when they're too slow.

Every long trip, the windshield wipers button doesn't respond on press after 8-12 hours of driving. There is no touch feedback. No wiper movement (besides the one initiated by the Auto setting). This is happening for a few minutes. Probably, until another button on the yoke is pressed.

Went to a service center in Santa Clara, CA. After a long debate, the service manager approved a yoke replacement. But the issue reproduced right during the next long trip!

Next time, I went to a service center in Fife, WA. They showed a genuine interest in the issue. But eventually returned the car with: "Could not duplicate concern. Every yoke button works as expected." Of course, the couldn't. They didn't use it for 8 hours.

What do you recommend to do next? What can we do when there is no logic in the actions and response of the service center whatsoever?
Try rebooting your Tesla when this happens while driving. It’s safe: it doesn’t reboot the driving computer. Press and hold the two wheels on your yoke / steering wheel for about thirty seconds. The screen(s) will go black for a minute and then the Tesla logo will appear a minute later and then it’ll be rebooted. Meanwhile drive like nothing has happened. Or pull over first, if not seeing your speed for a minute etc makes you uncomfortable. I betcha this will solve the issue.

Try rebooting your Tesla when this happens while driving. It’s safe: it doesn’t reboot the driving computer. Press and hold the two wheels on your yoke / steering wheel for about thirty seconds. The screen(s) will go black for a minute and then the Tesla logo will appear a minute later and then it’ll be rebooted. Meanwhile drive like nothing has happened. Or pull over first, if not seeing your speed for a minute etc makes you uncomfortable. I betcha this will solve the issue.
Do you mean that Tesla can continue driving on Autopilot while rebooting the computer unit?

Of of course, this doesn't solve the issue because usually it's needed to clean the windshield immediately. And there is no time to wait until the computer reboots.

Do you mean that Tesla can continue driving on Autopilot while rebooting the computer unit?

Of of course, this doesn't solve the issue because usually it's needed to clean the windshield immediately. And there is no time to wait until the computer reboots.
It does sound like you may have encountered an issue where some sort of software code pile up develops over hours of use.

This is clearly a rare situation as 99% of drivers do not drive 8hr trips almost ever, if ever.

So it may not be addressed anytime soon.

In the meantime, to minimize your suffering, perhaps maybe consider preemptively rebooting your model X while at superchargers every four hours or so in a trip?!

I think Supercharger is glitching in this case and fails to "charge" for charging.
I’m not sure I understand. But I meant, to prevent a problem while you are driving (the problem being “your windshield wiper button not working”), reboot your Tesla while you are parked.

So like, for example, when you pull off the highway at a Supercharger, unrelated to supercharging, just reboot your Tesla while you are parked.

It’s a workaround to the problem you’ve discovered on long drives.