Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield wipers come on when I go into Cruise Control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I engage cruise control or auto pilot on my 2022 Model 3 LR the wipers go on . The button to turn them off doesn't work unless I disengage CC or AP.
also, while in cruise control....a lot of alarms that I am going off the road when everything is fine. Mike

For alarms, you can check the autopilot options and maybe reduce aggressiveness of alerts to your liking.

2022 models are vision only, they need to see well through the cameras for CC/autopilot/fsd to work. They thus use the automatic wiper setting, which sometimes wipes for no reason. Cleaning the windshield, especially where the cameras are at the top, sometimes helps prevent unnecessary wipes.

For alarms, you can check the autopilot options and maybe reduce aggressiveness of alerts to your liking.

2022 models are vision only, they need to see well through the cameras for CC/autopilot/fsd to work. They thus use the automatic wiper setting, which sometimes wipes for no reason. Cleaning the windshield, especially where the cameras are at the top, sometimes helps prevent unnecessary wipes.
It's not sometimes. They wipe every time I turn on CC or AP. The cameras are clean.... its a software problem I am pretty sure.

Reactions: Zalick
I doubt this is a software bug, since you're the first to note it, here. It's more likely a hardware issue specific to your car, given all the other alerts you are seeing. I'd schedule an appt with a Service Center.
I am having the same problem with AP or CC turning on the wipers that cannot be turned off until disengagement of AP/CC. Probably a software problem.

Reactions: Amber85 and Zalick
No, it's by design. Auto wipers and auto high beams are required for ap/fsd. Wipers are just sometimes bad, especially if the windshield is dirty.
Thanks for the helpful information. Low and behold there it was. The remnants of a bug who met a sudden death right in front of the M3 camera. Cleaned the area and no longer having issues with the wipers. Your help is appreciated.

When I engage cruise control or auto pilot on my 2022 Model 3 LR the wipers go on . The button to turn them off doesn't work unless I disengage CC or AP.
also, while in cruise control....a lot of alarms that I am going off the road when everything is fine. Mike
I am having the exact same issue. Turn in CC and wipers come on and stay on. Windshield is spotless. Cannot turn off wipers until CC is disengaged.

Note
Autopilot requires wipers to be set to AUTO for vehicles manufactured after approximately April 27, 2021. This setting is automatic and you cannot change it.

Note
Auto High Beam is automatically enabled when Autosteer is engaged for vehicles manufactured after approximately April 27, 2021. To switch to low beam headlights, push the turn signal stalk forward and release. Auto High Beam is re-enabled every time Autosteer is activated.

Reactions: SSonnentag
This is a new "feature" after the latest OTA. My M3LR (produced may 2021 - with radar active) worked fine until last week after I received the latest OTA. From that moment forward, my radar is deactivated and all "smart" featured in the car are moved to "tesla vision". Now botn CC and AP are crap and unusable, especially on light rain. Few drops of rain and the wipers go wild. I'm back owning a dumb car basically, since I cannot in good faith use this implementation of AP or CC.

Tesla, please give me my radar back - it's infinitely better than vision in its actual state.

You will not get radar back even if you ask :) Makes no sense for Tesla to support two code stacks and AI/ML cores.

The auto wipers have always been finicky, you certainly had similar issues with them before. Maybe you were just not using them? The only difference is that auto is mandatory now, the wipers are not worse. Otherwise vision autopilot is very similar to radar. It has a different set of quirks and imperfections but it's not less secure, as corroborated by other people on these forums.

I have ceramic treatment on my windshield - I rarely need to use the wipers (and when I'm using them are always in manual mode since the auto mode is basically worse than any car I owned so far).
I understand (and support) maintaining a single code branch for anything - but while you have a working solution, please do not force a new, "revolutionary" one that is not delivering at least the same level of comfort.
I'm close to actually physically disconnect the wipers to be honest. In the current state the system it is simply unusable .. since the fall is here in Sweden and it is raining a lot.

The car is now only basically usable only during nice weather. As soon as it will start raining I need to go in full manual mode.

Last edited: